New header panel idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
So the idea for my car was to originally make a clone of an FE3x. Since the kit is being sold, all I needed was to make a header panel. So I tried welding a euro panel, a calais front clip, and fiberglassing a whole new front out of foam/chicken wire and so far nothing's worked. So here's some info that I finally think is correct about the panel - this one
fe3x%20header.jpg

The concept car was made with the original '85 header panel. Then a front clip from a calais was used to rivet the plexi all the way across. Note that is not a euro panel, the guys who made it actually cut the panel to mount the side lights (orange turn lights) behind the plexi.

After failing on a donor header panel, I'm going to just plexi over the headlights like a drag car. Then cut out the center support of the header panel - top and bottom, and smooth out the bottom of the support straight across with fiberglass. I'll do the same for the top and follow the lines of the plexi in the picture above, with some mesh -- painted black. I'm keeping it simple this time, and will make a 'how to' whenever I get into it in a few weeks.

Ideas/input/ mesh grille tips please let me know

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I know some guy is now selling kits on the internet for the ground effects, but there was a company that made them back in the day. don't think they sold too many of them, though, and it was scrapped. I have one of their brochures with the FE3X kit somewhere, I'll try and dig it up.

That front header panel is cool looking--I'm thinking of doing that (and integrating grand national turn signals in the corners of the header) near the end of the install of my hurst aero/kit.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Brick442 said:
I know some guy is now selling kits on the internet for the ground effects, but there was a company that made them back in the day. don't think they sold too many of them, though, and it was scrapped. I have one of their brochures with the FE3X kit somewhere, I'll try and dig it up.

That front header panel is cool looking--I'm thinking of doing that (and integrating grand national turn signals in the corners of the header) near the end of the install of my hurst aero/kit.

Yes, the kit's for sale, everything but the spoiler, rocker panels, and header panel. I tried the panel with the easier oldsmobile euro panel turn lights and it was hard enough to recess them and have enough support for the headlights. Those regal turn lights would be a nightmare, maybe you could weld in part of a regal clip to make it easier

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I was going to try Regal one's because I had read somewhere that for the FE3X Olds used Regal turn lights . . . wonder if someone can verify that

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
No, the header panel is the actual one from an '85 cutlass. they cut the panel to look like what would come later, the euro panel (in '87/'88 ). then the front clip of a calais was bolted in. The calais didn't have the top piece like these G body's, it's one piece recessed inward, all the way across and makes a perfect mold to bolt on a piece of plexi. Certain calais also had the side turn lights similar to what was used later on the euro panel -- that's what you see under the plexi, not a regal turn light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor