New here, new-to-me '85 hot air GN. Tempe, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert85HotAir

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2022
Hey all. Recently picked up an '85 GN. Time to get to work! The car runs and drives, but its running rough and will die at low idle while in gear.

Unsure of the cars history, but it seems like its been mostly sitting for a while. From what I've read and heard its best to start with the fuel system (pump and reg), new fuel, and then go from there.
Any advice on the best place to start with diagnostics would be great. I'd also love to get a scanmaster installed, but I've heard they won't work on the 84/85 ecms.

So glad to have found this community of g-body nerds. Thank you all in advance! Cheers.

-Bert.

Reactions: 1 users

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Welcome. Pics would be cool.

How long has it been sitting? My 85 El Camino sat for 20 years before I bought it. It ran poorly, but we'll enough to get it on and off the trailer. I ended up needing to replace the fuel tank, sender, all the soft lines, clean the hard lines, and a new fuel pump. I then rebuilt the carburetor and it ran like a top.

If yours was sitting for a while, I would start with a tune-up, air filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, oil and filter, drop the tank and take a look inside, if it's nasty either clean or replace. After all that's done, any other running issues will be carburetor related, and may point to a carb rebuild.

Reactions: 1 user

Bert85HotAir

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2022
Thanks for the feedback! These cars are fuel injected, so no carb rebuilds over here.

Good advise. Before I do anything else I'm going to start with a good ol' tune up and dropping the tank to take a look. Luckily, dropping the tanks on these things is so easy - just 2 bolts on the straps.

Here she is:
IMG_3906.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Great to have ya on board!

I have this scan tool that I'd sell ya:

It works for all the GM ECMs up through like 1989 or so,
$75 shipped.

It came in handy for me when I would diagnose issues in my all stock '83 H/O. Since I don't have that car anymore and my silver car is FAR from stock, I don't really have a use for it. I also don't see me owning a completely stock G again.

Looks like you have a great start to a cool project!

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, good looking car to start with. Hope you get her cleaned up and running right soon

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Hey all. Recently picked up an '85 GN. Time to get to work! The car runs and drives, but its running rough and will die at low idle while in gear.

Unsure of the cars history, but it seems like its been mostly sitting for a while. From what I've read and heard its best to start with the fuel system (pump and reg), new fuel, and then go from there.
Any advice on the best place to start with diagnostics would be great. I'd also love to get a scanmaster installed, but I've heard they won't work on the 84/85 ecms.

So glad to have found this community of g-body nerds. Thank you all in advance! Cheers.

-Bert.
Are you a member of turbobuick.com? The hotair section is probably your best bet for troubleshooting support.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
isnt every car in arizona a hot air car

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor