New in Mass. I need help with Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2006
Gloucester, Mass.
Hey, Just joined. I have a 1983 Monte Carlo with 40k original miles. Due to the years of sitting my car has developed a hole in the gas tank. I am hoping to attempt replacing the tank myself with the help of my Chilton manual. Anyone have any pointers? Or is there a gang near by that wants to help out? I'll provide the beer and pizza.

Thanks, happy to have joined the forum.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
welcome to the board Red....a tank is pretty straight forward but you'll need extra hands and while your buying a new tank pick up new lines, metal and rubber, and the harware. Good luck and ejoy the beer an pizza.. :D

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
If its been sitting so long to develop a hole, then go ahead and pick up a new sending unit, too. Chances r there is rust (and lots of it) in the tank. It ends up looking like barnacles on boats. Anyway, it ends up in the fuel filter and strainer in tank. No sense putting a new tank in and leaving all that rust on the sending unit.
To replace, need jack and board. Place jack under tank with board in between to help disperse the weight more evenly (helps to siphon gas out first).Remove the 2 bolts at the front of the tank that hold the straps to chassis. Remove ground strap from chassis at rear of tank strap on drivers side. Lower tank to gain access to remove fuel lines (Remove bolt that holds lines above axle for a little more room). Using a Brass punch, tap on the sending unit lock ring in a counter-clockwise direction to remove. Pull the sending unit out and inspect for rust.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85T5mcss...for all that info you deserve a few colds ones and a few slices..after all you told him how he could manage it on his own so there's got to be lots of frosties and pizza to share.. :lol:

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
pontiacgp said:
85T5mcss...for all that info you deserve a few colds ones and a few slices..after all you told him how he could manage it on his own so there's got to be lots of frosties and pizza to share.. :lol:
If he was closer, I'd more than happy to help a fellow Monte (G-Body) owner out with working on their car.

While I might not be a Mechanic, I can find my way around a Monte pretty well. I still ask for help at times to confirm things. But I also refuse to take my cars anywhere.
Good luck with that tank, and if u have any ?'s u know what Forum to come to. I'd go ahead and replace that fuel filter after u r done.

I guess I should have confirmed this to be a V8 Gas engine. Its not a Diesel or Fuel Injection is it?

Oh, and welcome to the site. I'd like to see some pics if u can. I had an 82 SC with the 350 Olds Diesel a while back and I am considering another early 80s SC for a fun car.

The more I look at it, the more I remember. The easiest way to siphon the fuel out is not from the gas tank, but from the fuel pump (front passenger side of V8 engine). Take the feed line off of the fuel pump (it's the large one going into the frame) and siphon from there. That way it will remove more from the tank since its using the factory pickup. 60 pound Gas Tanks get heavy and awkward when u try to remove them. Not to mention messy when u remove the gas. I've never thrown away that old gas either, I strain it and then mixed it with fresh fuel for my lawnmower and haven't had a single prob.

Jun 26, 2006
Gloucester, Mass.
Thanks guys. If i can pull this off it will save me a good 400 bucks worth of labor. Yeah its the stock 305. Its a CL. I'll have some pictures up tomorrow. So check back and I still have alot I want to do to her so I'll keep it posted as well.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Fire Extinguisher handy, just in case, and you'll be in good shape. On a scale of 10-10 in difficulty, maybe 2.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You might also want to purchase new straps to have on hand in case the ones on the car are rusted out.

85t5mcss...that's a nice tip on draining the tank..I never thought of that method...(thumbs up)

admin...we could use a thumbs up emoticon if you get a chance....:D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you have the tank out take the wire for the sender unit and ground it...your gauge should go to full if the gauge is working and the wire is ok. The wire itself may just be rusted and the connetion might be dead at the sender unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor