New old guy

sonnydgt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2010
Restored my father in laws 78 century wagon years ago, kids used as emergency ride( made a mess out of it) got it back and am now fixing it back up. I am in need of some info on ac system ( how much Freon/oil does it require) had to replace the condenser. I am also in need of a drivers door pull strap and where is the best place to order carpet kits from ? Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: 1 user

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Restored my father in laws 78 century wagon years ago, kids used as emergency ride( made a mess out of it) got it back and am now fixing it back up. I am in need of some info on ac system ( how much Freon/oil does it require) had to replace the condenser. I am also in need of a drivers door pull strap and where is the best place to order carpet kits from ? Thanks for any help
Welcome to the site. Is your system set up for R156a freon? If so 1 1/2 lbs freon and 5 ounces of PAG46 oil. If its the old R12 you'll need to talk to an AC shop about that. On the door pull strap give you local NAPA store a call. They have them in various colors. Carpet kits are a little tricky. Give an upholstery shop a call. They should be able to guide you. Good luck on your project. Keep posting pics

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Welcome to the site. Is your system set up for R156a freon? If so 1 1/2 lbs freon and 5 ounces of PAG46 oil. If its the old R12 you'll need to talk to an AC shop about that. On the door pull strap give you local NAPA store a call. They have them in various colors. Carpet kits are a little tricky. Give an upholstery shop a call. They should be able to guide you. Good luck on your project. Keep posting pics
I meant R134a freon. Sorry about that

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!

Sharp wagon. I used ACC brand carpet for my Malibu. Very happy with the quality and price. Wagon and 4 door carpet are the same. You may be able to get the pull straps in the "for sale" section on this site. Regarding the A/C system, taking it to a shop might be best as they can vacuum it out before they charge it to ensure no leaks and clean the inside. Also, if it's not converted to 134a yet this would be the time to do it. R12 is getting extremely hard to find and stupid expensive when you do.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
R4 compressor systems used 3.25 pounds of R12

A6 compressor systems used 3.5 pounds of R12

In my experience, if converting to R134a (which it appears to have been), 85% of original charge gets you a good result. Did you use a parallel flow condensor, or the OE serpentine style?

I agree with ACC carpet, Rockauto has the best price. Member O. D. Showtime would be a good place to start for the pull straps

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

sonnydgt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2010
R4 compressor systems used 3.25 pounds of R12

A6 compressor systems used 3.5 pounds of R12

In my experience, if converting to R134a (which it appears to have been), 85% of original charge gets you a good result. Did you use a parallel flow condensor, or the OE serpentine style?

I agree with ACC carpet, Rockauto has the best price. Member O. D. Showtime would be a good place to start for the pull straps

sonnydgt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for the help ,converted to 134 years ago installed new Condenser vacuumed down and hasn’t dropped since yesterday good tight system. Juice it up with 3 lbs and it should be good. Carpet ordered and in search of drivers door pull strap tan. Both tail light lens cracked gonna try and find some. Paint job is a little rough clay bared it and it looks a little better

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I believe the 78 wagon tail lamps are now reproduced as well as the 79 and newer. Somewhat expensive. But decent used 78 tail lamps are next to impossible to find

sonnydgt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2010
found another gotta find it. Need a battery tray. Found a lot of listings that look like it but none for 78 century. Do all the G body cars use the same one ie regal, Malibu etc

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor