New Panther owner, 03 Crown Vic P71

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all, just thought I'd say something about the new ride, an 03 Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor with the "Street Appearance package".
Vic.jpg

Standard with the old 2-valve SOHC 4.6 modular, rated for 251hp, "severe duty" OD trans, unknown rear(either a 3.27 or a 3.55), with the performance handling package(springs, shocks, bigger sway bars). Overall it's a sweet ride. The Roadmaster positively destroys it in the 1/4 mile, but still a fun and easy car to drive.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
That is neat, I have been thinking about getting one. Thing I am worried about with buying an CVPI are high idle hours on the motor despite the mileage. Have heard of a cop car that only had 36K on it but the motor was shot from high hours of idling. If you don't mind me asking, what mileage and hours are on it? Personally I would replace those hup caps with the half moon ones to complete the look.

Last edited:

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
It was a detective's car, so I don't think it was ran very hard at all. Not sure on hours, but it has a tad over 85k on it, and records show that those miles were spread out over the 8 years since new. Passed emissions and safety tests every time. Of course, we don't have any of that here, but it's nice to know that it held up. It has a little wheel wobble, but apparently that's common with these crazy-offset steel wheels, the welds break and make them impossible to balance properly. Either way, it drove 250 miles home with no fuss.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The detective cars are usually the better ones besides fire marshal and municipal CVPIs. Dectectives usually do not sit in their cars with the engine idling for hours on end like a road officer car. I think many times a CVPI will have both a odometer and a hourmeter. Sounds like you got a good buy for sure.

Reactions: 1 user

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
The detective cars are usually the better ones besides fire marshal and municipal CVPIs. Dectectives usually do not sit in their cars with the engine idling for hours on end like a road officer car. I think many times a CVPI will have both a odometer and a hourmeter. Sounds like you got a good buy for sure.
Hi all, just thought I'd say something about the new ride, an 03 Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor with the "Street Appearance package". View attachment 38884
Standard with the old 2-valve SOHC 4.6 modular, rated for 251hp, "severe duty" OD trans, unknown rear(either a 3.27 or a 3.55), with the performance handling package(springs, shocks, bigger sway bars). Overall it's a sweet ride. The Roadmaster positively destroys it in the 1/4 mile, but still a fun and easy car to drive.
lol,small world! the wifey just inherited a low mile 97 p71.i lready hit the yard and "copped"(pun intended)a newer hood,and header panel from a 00, as i like the look of these better,and also picked up a floor shifter, center console,and buckets from a 98 contenental.the car is hella clean,and im gonna run some 22" nova's,lower it,and flip it.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I bet you feel like a detective just sitting in it lol. I wouldnt say it wasn't beat on at all. When stuff goes down that when they call DT's. Even though a cop thrashes there cars alot more.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
vic1.jpg
vic2.jpg
Turns out it has the 3.27 LSD gears(woo-hoo, good for 140+mph), and we replaced the clouded headlight lenses and honeycomb grille. A less than $100 upgrade and it looks like a whole new car

robert87ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
I know those cars upside down and inside out. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help. Biggest problems with the 03 is cooling fans and fan controllers. Btw with slight trimming and a Cutty plate it fits perfect in a g-body. They are bad about axle shafts going bad and they leak gear oil all over the brakes. They had problems with the cat converters coming loose on the inside and rattling. And you definitely gonna want to use 5w20 or 5w30 oil, nothing heavier or it will shorten the life of the timing chains.

robert87ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
Here in Florida the cop cars with the 3.27 gears were mostly supervisor cars. And a lot better condition. I used to have a 99 we built the motor put a converter in it and sprayed 150 dry shot all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor