new pro comp heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
If you do get them get them from skip white, he checks the castings and put's different springs etc in them so they don't suck dick. I'm in college to but do your research! I'm totally happy with my vortec 355! ALSO the reason- at least for the time being is that the pro comp heads don't flow as well as they should for the size of the intake runner. EX. 210 cc intake runner= a max flow 240ish-maybe 250ish. The efficency sucks *ss on these heads so you'll have no bottom end torque and than when it peeks you'll have about the same power as a vortec 355 because vortecs flow the same as the pro comps 210s but the vortecs flow better bellow .500 etc above etc and have a 170cc intake runner which gives a great torque band... RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Nothings wrong with pro comps when they are done right, but for the size of the intake runner they should flow a whole heck of a lot better. Also the BBC pro comps are way better than the SBC's from my understanding.

EDIT, should have read the whole thing I've been beaten haha!

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah i got his page saved to order a set of the vortecs redone.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
With that cam you are going to need atleast 2800-3000 stall also,i had that same cam on a 388 and it made pretty good power from 3000rpm and up

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I know of a couple G bodies near here with sets of Procomp heads. One has had nothing but problems, and the other says they worked fairly well. He's using a set of 2451 Hooker LT's with a set of angle plugs, so that's his only gripe.

The other, while torqueing the head bolt, the head cracked. Took Procomp a while to get a replacement.

Do what you want to do. I was thinking about it, but IIRC, the cast iron Patriots and some other brand have better specs for cheaper. On a street car I don't think the weight will matter too much between aluminum heads vs cast iron.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Pro Comp heads $460.20/piece. New Edelbrock E-Street are 185cc and cost $899.95. You get the quality of a good name brand product. Edelbrock has excellent quality and made in USA. Which will be better then any stock cast iron cylinder head out there. Take those cheap chinese made cylinder heads would make a good paper weight. Hell I could probably make a lamp outta them or something.

MonteCarloSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2008
Virginia
Pro Comps are made in New Zealand not China just saying too the research.I would go though Skip White if I was going to buy them.Vortec's or Edelbrock are a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor