new project 83 grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
just picked up this 83 grand prix t-top from a buddy of mine. it mostly just needs assembly

i pretty much got this for about $100 because he owed me money. i feel i made out well as i have always liked the grand prix and there are NONE around here now

as it stands:
motor and transmission are out. slightly built 305 and th-350
t-tops dont leak and are rusted around seals (big deal here in maine)
body seems pretty straight
frame has the "usual" soft spots behind rear tires but very easily fixable
factory buckets, console shift
no cracks in dash
minimal cracking on vinyl rear top
car is pretty torn apart but came with nearly everything, just need alternator, headers, passenger side window, some nuts and bolts
centerline style 14"rims (i hate them and want 15" d windows)
im still in the cleaning and inventorying phase just seeing what i have. its rained since i got it to the shop so i couldnt do much outside and the shops full.

pics in no special order

Attachments

• CAM01159.jpg
    CAM01159.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 926
  • CAM01160.jpg
    CAM01160.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 856
  • CAM01162.jpg
    CAM01162.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 821
  • CAM01168.jpg
    CAM01168.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 840
  • CAM01170.jpg
    CAM01170.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 849

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
more pics

Attachments

• CAM01171.jpg
    CAM01171.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 837
  • CAM01172.jpg
    CAM01172.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 839
  • CAM01161.jpg
    CAM01161.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 830
  • CAM01163.jpg
    CAM01163.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 829
  • CAM01166.jpg
    CAM01166.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 833

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
the interior is totally torn apart right now but all the pieces are in the back. even still have the t-top bags

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
nice score for a bill! :mrgreen: I got mine for $50 8) and mine had the 15in centerlines which looked bad *ss IMO.. T-TOPS, center console and buckets are worth it! what are your plans?

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
nothing too big. clean it up and put it all together, drop in the motor and transmission and make her drivable. new break lines and wheel bearings and all the usual wear items, find some d-windows and see about stuffing some 295-50-15s in the rear, dont care if they stick out.

probably gonna keep the paint as is for now because its really not that bad if you dont mind the design, which i dont. maybe ill grow a mullet and a big mustache to go with it :rofl:

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
im just curious is there anything specific i should be looking for as far as common problems with these cars?

ill gladly take any input on what you guys think would be good to do with this car. lay some ideas on me

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Get all the tedious junk out of the way first. If it were my car, and the drive train was already pulled out, I would roll the frame out from under it and fixed the rust issues. You don't need to get crazy, but with the frame off it will be a lot easier to fix the rust issues and give the frame a nice coating of whatever you prefer. When the rust gets to the point of chewing up the frame, usually by that point there's some body mount issues as well. Not telling you to get crazy and do a concourse restoration, but it will save you so much more aggravation in the long run. It sounds like you just want a nice cruiser. Once all the rust issues are fixed, and you slap a nice coat of paint on the frame and some fresh body bushings, you won'y have to worry about it in your lifetime. Plus you can run stainless or Nicopp brake and fuel lines with the frame off, for about the same price of steel pre bends and never have to worry about lines rusting ever again. So many great things you can do with the frame out suspension, rear, etc, but all that is your choice. I would definently recommend doing what I mentioned though. Also a lot easier to work around floor pan issues with the frame off, it looks pretty solid, but there's usually a little (or a lot) of something.

As for the drivetrain, it's all about what you're looking for. Like I said, sounds like you want a nice cruiser. The 305 and th350 will be great for a cruiser. If your planning on rear gears, keep it modest, no more than a 3.42 to keep it from screaming in 3rd. You said the 305 was built, but if it looks like it needs a little freshen up, put a felpro gasket kit on it, along with timing set and sleep easy. Maybe a cam if you want a little more get up and go with a nicer than stock idle, but be conservative. As for the transmission, if it looks like it's a little leaky, throw a seal kit on it, shift kit if you like spending money. Definitely do seals and gaskets if they haven't been done already though.

Interior is all personal opinion. I like g body interiors, so I'd just clean up what you got. My cutlass interior was 50 shades of stains when I got it :puke: , I borrowed one of those carpet cleaner vacs that have attachments for small stuff, and the interior came out like new.

I know i'm a little long winded, but those are just some of the idea's I had that I should of done with my el camino when I first got it, instead of wasting money trying to fix things. Good luck with it, and I kinda think the paint job is cool, but you'll definently need at least a mustache. Mullet if the tires go outside the fender. :mrgreen:

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the input. im gonna put it on the lift when i get a chance to see how bad it really is underneath. the car was restored a few years back, and was on the road in 2012 so alot of things have been done.

the 305 already has a mild cam, weiand intake and edelbrock carb, motor and transmission came out of a running and driving 82 camaro

i plan to leave the interior stock, but the center console is busted up around the shifter, im thinking diamondplate unless i can get that piece cheap, which i doubt. im gonna run through the upholstery with the extractor we have at the shop and see how it cleans up too.

luckily i work for a pretty big towing/autobody company so the boss lets me use the shop after hours and the car is kept in a sercure impound. its so nice to have all the equipment available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor