new project 83 grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
does anybody have any suggestions for what could be done with this? just some input on what you folks would do?

im hoping to start soon, things just keep popping up. i drive long distance 4-car carrier so i work as much as 14 hours a day and have a new baby...

Attachments

• madawaska to silvers.jpg
    madawaska to silvers.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 521

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
update on the project: it is screwed

the rear frame is very much worse than i expected, also where alot of the car has already been disassembled by the previous owner i have run into problems. the door panels are both cracked, and every clip is broken off. the lower chrome trim that has been removed also has had all of the retainers broken or bent beyond use.

best of all, in the engine compartment, between the heater box and the pass side fender, there is a large wiring harnes that is just chopped off there.

all in all it was a pretty big bummer when i finally got to crawl around her. but i am not giving up, However the condition of the car, the cost of a proper rebuild, and the value of it do not add up. I am sad to say that this is just gonna be a throw it together on the super cheap and have fun kind of deal.

here is where i get unpopular:

door panels are going on with self tappers (they are already destroyed)
lower chrome trim is either being removed or getting the same treatment
frame is just being plated where it is rotted. nothing fancy, just rugged enough to be safe
no performance mods, just gonna dump in the motor and transmission i have as is.

hopefully it gets done.
always willing to sell the car as well...

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
That harness is probably just the computer harness, you wouldn't need it unless you're planning to hook the computer up. I removed mine completely so that someday when I'm dead someone doesn't say "what a hack job", but it's gone regardless. On the frame, that's a pretty common problem and there are replacement rails available. On the whole, sounds like the project is more than you bargained for though, so it makes sense not to sink too much into it.

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
UPDATE: got the motor and trans set into place last weekend, ran into some issues there. apparently i have a long tailshaft th-350 and the factory one had the short tail? my drive shaft appears to be quite a bit too long, other than that it went in smooth. got the engine bay all cleaned up and sprayed with rustoleum bed liner to withstand abuse. frame patches are partially complete.

still just trying to get rid of those god awful 14" rims. progress is progress though

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor