New to board. '86 Bonnie. Sleeper project! (my first G-Body)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbagel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2015
Hi everyone!

The Bonnie is a beautiful one owner! 41k miles!

I won't be touching the paint or interior.

Plans are to build a mild sleeper, for now. Hopefully an all out high horsepower sleeper down the road.

Attachments

• Bonnie front.jpg
    Bonnie front.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Bonnie pass door interior.jpg
    Bonnie pass door interior.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: 1 users

mbagel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2015
It is really clean! It's perfect, just what I was looking for!

As far as the engine is concerned, I'm leaning towards getting as much out of the stock 305 short block as I can. With only 41k miles on it, I think I can give it a shot. With good flowing heads, roller cam and free flowing exhaust and cool air intake and good tuning I can make things interesting. I'll work the suspension, brakes a little and make it fun to drive and different.

I can always go for high horsepower down the road.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looks sweet, welcome aboard! If you're wanting to keep the 305, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket intake for it, and I believe a couple years of Square-body Chevy trucks had a 305 with some big-valve heads that can improve your output a little bit. Since I'm a fan of them, a good rebuilt or brand new Q-Jet on top should do nicely(Jegs sells some in their catalog). As for exhaust, your options are almost unlimited, it's just trying to find headers that fit that might be kind of tricky. Then there's the little things, Jeep steering shaft, electric fans etc. Be sure to search through the sticky threads here for the little upgrades and modifications. Most of all, have fun in your new G-Body

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The Monte Carlo SS and higher end F bodies have the HO 305 heads which are the best of 80s 305 heads, plus there are also 305 059 vortec heads. Avoid buying a rebuilt Qjet from a catalog or chain store, they all are low quality rebuilds with generic spec parts instead of correct spec parts. Best thing is to have the original Qjet on your car rebuilt by a good rebuilder, such as Cliff or Sean Murphy.

12 years ago there was still a slew of performance parts for g bodies, these days there are far less offerings, mostly just track racing suspension parts and LS swap kits that don't address everything.

mbagel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2015
Thanks everyone! I'll start a thread in the build forum when I start it.

LoveandRockets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2014
Oswego County, NY
Welcome from upstate NY! Beautiful Bonneville, can't wait to see what you do with her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor