Replaced dash circuit board, now no dash lights

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
I replaced my dash circuit board on my ‘87 Elky and now my dash lights don’t work. All of my gauges function and the idiot lights work. When I pull the headlight switch I get my exterior lights and the radio clock dims, but none of the dash lights work. Any suggestions on where to look?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd suggest this to trouble shoot first is pull the cluster & check the gray wire (circuit 8, dash lights) still has a good crimp with the terminal. Also check to ensure the terminal is making contact to the circuit board contact tab & that the tab was not folded up away from the contact or the teminal when the connector is pluged in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Did you switch to LED lights? If so, are they polarized and only will light when installed one way? If this is the case, remove the bulbs and re install 180 degrees. I also agree with pagrunt, pull the cluster and check for contact from the clip to the circuit board. The gray dash light circuit should be pinned in cavity 5. Also clean the pins and if needed slightly re arch them with an o ring pick or scratch awl.

Wire Diagram.png

Reactions: 2 users

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
Did you switch to LED lights? If so, are they polarized and only will light when installed one way? If this is the case, remove the bulbs and re install 180 degrees. I also agree with pagrunt, pull the cluster and check for contact from the clip to the circuit board. The gray dash light circuit should be pinned in cavity 5. Also clean the pins and if needed slightly re arch them with an o ring pick or scratch awl.

View attachment 225818
No LEDs, I didn’t change the sockets at all. I also noticed that my turn signals both light up when I engage either direction. I checked the ribbon to make sure it wasn’’t folded and It looked good. I’ll pull the cluster tomorrow and try to rearch the pins. I thought about reinstalling my original but it’s falling apart.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I would also check the ground circuit #150 that is in pin 9. It almost sounds as if the ribbon failed to make contact with the ground pin which is at the end of the clip. Been there, Did that.

• Useful
  • Agree

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
I would also check the ground circuit #150 that is in pin 9. It almost sounds as if the ribbon failed to make contact with the ground pin which is at the end of the clip. Been there, Did that.
Based on a wear mark it seems to be making contact. I’ve pulled it all apart today. Cleaned the contacts and put a little more arch in them. I tested the circuits in the car and they check out, which I assumed since they were working before this project.

I put 12V to the ribbon. All the dash lights come on. When I test the turn signals, both light up no matter which side I energize. This doesn’t seem right to me.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Based on a wear mark it seems to be making contact. I’ve pulled it all apart today. Cleaned the contacts and put a little more arch in them. I tested the circuits in the car and they check out, which I assumed since they were working before this project.

I put 12V to the ribbon. All the dash lights come on. When I test the turn signals, both light up no matter which side I energize. This doesn’t seem right to me.
Follow all the circuit paths to ensure there is nothing making contact in the lamination. There could be a maufacturing defect causing both turn signal bulbs to light.

• Agree

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
Follow all the circuit paths to ensure there is nothing making contact in the lamination. There could be a maufacturing defect causing both turn signal bulbs to light.
That’s exactly what it was. Luckily it was in an area where I didn’t have to take the whole thing off. Sliced it with an exacting knife then wrapped the one side in electric tape.

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. They all helped me think through this and get to a fix.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor