New to g-bodys/ this

Status
Not open for further replies.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Renthorin said:
Did I say rears? I think I meant front. This gets hashed a lot on turbobuick.com as the GNX wheels are/were very similar to the GTA t/a wheels.

Fronts.....I meant fronts.......

I did the same thing, I know it's fronts but I keep typing rears.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
DrRansom442 said:
yes but Monte SS wheels were a 2nd gen Camaro (friend of mine had a 80 Z28 had a set of them in black) item not 3rd gen and yes 3rd gen Camaros did have coils, but the rear end setup was still VERY different from the 78 up A/G body.....F,K,X bodies shared simular architecture and component interchange....A, B and G bodies had simularities and limited interchangiblity (i.e. 3rd gen Camaro 1LE rotors would fit a G-body if you used taller B-body spindles). Yes the 3rd Camaros did have 2 different wheel sizes/offsets and yes it was common for 4 IROC Camaro fronts to be installed on G-bodies

I never said that the suspension and tires both came from the same generation. I said "early 80's", which would include '80. :)

Not sure by what you mean by it was common for 4 Camaro fronts to be installed on G-Bodies. It wasn't common from the factory, the Camaro front and Monte Carlo SS wheels have different part numbers and although they look the same at first glance they are different.

Anyway, I'm done in this thread. It's too tiring. :wink:

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
Greg - what are your plans for the car? Are you going to race? Car shows? Collect and put away for future resale?

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Renthorin said:
Greg - what are your plans for the car? Are you going to race? Car shows? Collect and put away for future resale?

I'm restoring it to factory bit by bit. I have done a few upgrades but kept every part I've removed. I take it to the local shows and it wins something almost every time. I'm ordering a new interior next week. The reproductions are finally accurate and somewhat affordable!

I used to build race cars but that's one hobby that can really get out of control. Now having said that I would still love to get my hands on another SS that's rather beat beyond reasonable restoration and build another 1/4 mile car.

As for collect and hold as an investment.... I strongly believe that cars are meant to be driven. If someone is going to just park a car for a number of years the might as well just have a picture on the wall instead. I think cars are ment to be enjoyed and you can't enjoy them if you aren't driving them. The whole trailer queen thing is totally beyond me.

Another thing I find interesting is that the Monte Carlo SS is a rare car in Canada and usually brings big dollars. But there are still thousands upon thousands of them in the eastern U.S. I don't have plans to sell mine ever.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I never said that the suspension and tires both came from the same generation. I said "early 80's", which would include '80. :)

Not sure by what you mean by it was common for 4 Camaro fronts to be installed on G-Bodies. It wasn't common from the factory, the Camaro front and Monte Carlo SS wheels have different part numbers and although they look the same at first glance they are different.

sorry misread that, thought you meant the IROC wheels off the 3rd gens, not the factory but it wasn't uncommon for people to put these on. 2nd gen Camaro and G-body should interchange wheels though, they didn't have 2 different offsets like the 3rd gens (another reason I was confused)the 80 Camaro and SS would have different part numbers as the 2nd gen Camaro version of the wheels was black. Really I am not looking to argue, and I apologise if it seems that way.

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
87-Monte SS - who are you? :)

I appologize if you are Greg also. I was directing my question to the originator of the post "think_07" to see what he wants the car for.

As for you Mr. 87- Monte SS..... I like going to car shows too. I used to show my GN but after a few trophies I gave up and now I just enjoy cruising around and long Sunday drives.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
further highjacking this thread, I read your sig, your SS has buckets and a column shifter? do you have interior pictures, I've never seen that combo and Monte SS are pretty common down here in middle America, I assumed floor shifters were standard

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Renthorin said:
87-Monte SS - who are you? :)

I appologize if you are Greg also. I was directing my question to the originator of the post "think_07" to see what he wants the car for.

As for you Mr. 87- Monte SS..... I like going to car shows too. I used to show my GN but after a few trophies I gave up and now I just enjoy cruising around and long Sunday drives.

LOL! Sorry! My name is Greg as well. Didn't even think that my name isn't in profile, it was an instant response to my name.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
DrRansom442 said:
further highjacking this thread, I read your sig, your SS has buckets and a column shifter? do you have interior pictures, I've never seen that combo and Monte SS are pretty common down here in middle America, I assumed floor shifters were standard

There are pictures on my site, including interior pics. The car was factory ordered with buckets and column shift. Makes it kind of special to me. :)

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
87MonteSS said:
DrRansom442 said:

There are pictures on my site, including interior pics. The car was factory ordered with buckets and column shift. Makes it kind of special to me. :)

console I take it is aftermarket? very nice and yes the white and tan is somewhat abnormal, but buckets and column shift, man that is the first one I've seen, I knew my Calais, buckets were standard and the console was an option but I never have actually seen a car deliverred that way, regardless of Monte, Cutlass, Regal, et cetera...very nice. Shame GM can't tell how many were deliverred that way.
My Calais, 940,655 Cutlasses made in 1981 of those 4,105 were Calais.
now my car was originally tou-tone (which of itself was rare for ANY Cutlass) blue over white (I've never seen another like this), I'd love to know how many of those were orderred. My car has just about every option (minus the G80 limited slip and Astro-roof). Pity GM didn't have better accounting. Ofcourse it probably doesn't even matter much since the majority of the OEM parts are long gone and my car is a mis-match of parts from countless dead cars....only to get worse the longer I own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor