New to g-bodys/ this

Status
Not open for further replies.

think_07

n00b
Jan 21, 2006
Renthorin said:
Greg - what are your plans for the car? Are you going to race? Car shows? Collect and put away for future resale?

I want to build a friday night fun/strip car. Definetly not car shows or collecting, my taste in cars is go fast, but definetly not look real pretty doing it, while being as "sleeperish" as possible. So the plan is a A/G body, 350 sb chev (around 400, maybe abit more hp) 4-speed standard, ya i know most people say automatic, but its just a choice, and ya. What rear ends swap in easily, i'd probably run 4.10 or 4.56 rear end gears, depending on what transmission i chose, and no this would not be a highway car at all, so mileage is no concern.

- Greg Shepertycky

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
friday night fun/strip car you say?

I smell a turbo Buick :)

Ok.......... so I am biased!!!!!

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
[quote="think_07]
I want to build a friday night fun/strip car. Definetly not car shows or collecting, my taste in cars is go fast, but definetly not look real pretty doing it, while being as "sleeperish" as possible. So the plan is a A/G body, 350 sb chev (around 400, maybe abit more hp) 4-speed standard, ya i know most people say automatic, but its just a choice, and ya. What rear ends swap in easily, i'd probably run 4.10 or 4.56 rear end gears, depending on what transmission i chose, and no this would not be a highway car at all, so mileage is no concern. [/quote]

well for a rear, I'd suggest ponying up the bucks for a custom built Ford 9 incher expect to pay around $1200. - $1500. if you want that tall gear, I'd suggest utilizing a big block (alot more torque, not to mention 400 horses are easier to generate from the larger displacement) Chevy 454, Olds 455 (especially if its a Cutlass, most people can't tell a 455 from a SBO anyways) or be REALLY cool and use the Caddy 472/500. As posted previously 4 speeds were common in earlier cars (you just missed a VERY used 78 Cutlass Salon {a.k.a. the buttless Cutlass} 260 w/ 4 speed on Ebay)

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
87MonteSS said:
Yes, that console is just one of those generic things with a storage area and four cup holders. It is not attached to the car in any way, it just sits there.

IIRC aren't the Chevy consoles two pieces? I recall as a lad our '82('81?) Malibu Wagon with the factory 4-speed (and buckets) had a console that was only the "storage" section between the seats. I believe it was factory. I know the Olds and Pontiac ones are one piece.

I wish I could find that car, my dad sold it in the late '80s when he started work on his '70 Judge, after h e'd replaced the 263 w/ a 402 BB and put a police-option speedo in. :)

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
GP403 said:
87MonteSS said:
Yes, that console is just one of those generic things with a storage area and four cup holders. It is not attached to the car in any way, it just sits there.

IIRC aren't the Chevy consoles two pieces? I recall as a lad our '82('81?) Malibu Wagon with the factory 4-speed (and buckets) had a console that was only the "storage" section between the seats. I believe it was factory. I know the Olds and Pontiac ones are one piece.

I wish I could find that car, my dad sold it in the late '80s when he started work on his '70 Judge, after h e'd replaced the 263 w/ a 402 BB and put a police-option speedo in. :)

Cutlass consoles aren't one piece, they have upper and lower sections, I have about 4 partials and 2 complete in storage. The one in his pix is a generic piece like what Walmart or autoparts sell (GM give G-bodies cup holders - HA! dear God I've gotten old I am bitc#in about a lack of cupholders).

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
DrRansom442 said:
Cutlass consoles aren't one piece, they have upper and lower sections, I have about 4 partials and 2 complete in storage. The one in his pix is a generic piece like what Walmart or autoparts sell (GM give G-bodies cup holders - HA! dear God I've gotten old I am bitc#in about a lack of cupholders).

Err, well that's what I meant :) Not like you could take the back half and use it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor