New to GBodys and this Forum

Its not a hearse!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2023
Alberta
Hey everyone, just joined this forum. I am a muscle car guy, total car nerd and have owed dozens of different ones.
I have been looking for a Malibu wagon for years and I finally found one a couple months ago. My plan was to buy one and turn it into a hot rod but this one came perfect already. I bought an 81 with new 350, 200r4 transmission and rear end with 342 gears. The whole drivetrain has only 5000 kms on it.
What a machine!
Super glad I found this forum for I already have questions…
IMG_5268.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5276.jpeg
    IMG_5276.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5197.jpeg
    IMG_5197.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5196.jpeg
    IMG_5196.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5195.jpeg
    IMG_5195.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 12 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Nice wagon. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do to it to make it yours.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Looks very nice, don't mess with it, just drive it and enjoy it. Don't make it your by putting in an LS, manual trans,, all wheel disks,, ford 9in and on and on! Don't replace the factory radio for an aftermarket (if that hasn't been done already!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Nice. Looks like someone already went down the path of stiffening up the front suspension with a heavier anti-sway bar and triangulated bracing plus matching braces in the engine bay.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That thing is clean! Nice score. Only thing I would change is remove the SS on the fender and grille. But that's just me. Otherwise it looks pretty slick. Welcome!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
nice wagon
Looks like there’s nothing left to do but drive the wheels off it

• Agree

Its not a hearse!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2023
Alberta
Looks very nice, don't mess with it, just drive it and enjoy it. Don't make it your by putting in an LS, manual trans,, all wheel disks,, ford 9in and on and on! Don't replace the factory radio for an aftermarket (if that hasn't been done already!
Hi there, thank you. I’m happy with everything about it but it needs brakes. I smoked a corvette but had a hard time stopping. You don’t suggest converting the rear to disks? That was on the list. Do you have some suggestions for brakes? I’m all ears. The front pads I can see are almost done. No idea what the shoes are like on the back yet.

Its not a hearse!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2023
Alberta
Nice. Looks like someone already went down the path of stiffening up the front suspension with a heavier anti-sway bar and triangulated bracing plus matching braces in the engine bay.

Nick
Thanks! It handles surprisingly well for a wagon. Up to about 180 kms/hour though. After that it’s not so good.
I hit 200 and that’s when it feels like a wagon…not good.

Its not a hearse!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2023
Alberta
Thanks! It handles surprisingly well for a wagon. Up to about 180 kms/hour though. After that it’s not so good.
I hit 200 and that’s when it feels like a wagon…
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Nice wagon. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do to it to make it yours.
Thank you and I admire your coupe. A buddy in high school had an absolute twin to that car. Although high school was about 30 years ago for me but you’re not in Calgary Alberta are you? Or get the car in Alberta?

Its not a hearse!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2023
Alberta
So being new here and not very techy, just trying to navigate this forum. Have some questions regarding brakes/brake upgrades and looking for input on evap canisters. Thanks in advance, I’m a car guy not much of a computer guy lol.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor