new to me 81 with a vin question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
manchester,nh
picked up an 81 el camino over the weekend, the cl ad was horrible with pictures so blurry they were useless but it was less than a mile from my house so looked at it and dragged it home. has a newer header panel and fenders on it, header panel is kind of hanging on for dear life, seems 78-81 radiator supports are a little different. 3.8/3 speed standard car, both of which are long gone. last owner had a 350/4 speed in it with a hydraulic clutch which i may use since i have a bellhousing but i have g body ones too. gas door and license plate pocket were shaved, put gas in from inside the bed now. parts missing in addition to engine and trans are crossmember, driveshaft, steering box, steering column, gauges, some trim, headliner, hood, grill, and rear bumper. luckily i have half this crap in my basement and theres 2 salvage yards near me that have 3 caminos each so i should be able to slam it together easy enough. problem right now is the vin plate is rusted to hell and he couldnt find paperwork so now i'm guessing at it. since chevy considers it a truck my factory car manuals arent much help. i can see 1gccw8dk5br13375, the d may not be right and i cant see the last number but i'm not too worried about that, just need the rest correct and i'll figure the last one out easy enough since i know its a number.

Neuron

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2012
SOCAL
Hope this helps.

1981 El Camino VIN Breakdown

Location – The VIN number is stamped on a plate located on top of the instrument panel and visible through the windshield on the drivers side. It is composed of 17 numbers and letters.

A sample 1981 El Camino VIN would look like this: 1GCCW80HXBR100001

1st digit - This is the Country of origin

1 = U.S.A
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico

2nd digit – This is the manufacturers identity

G = General Motors

3rd digit - This is the Make

C = Chevrolet Truck
T = GMC Truck

4th digit - This is the GVWR Brake System

C = Hydraulic brake system - GVW 4001-5000

5th digit - This is the Series

W = El Camino/Caballero

6th and 7th digits - This is the Body Style

80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

8th digit - This identifies the engine

K = V-6, 229cid
A = V-6, 231cid
J = V-8, 267cid
H = V-8, 305cid

9th digit -Check Digit

10th digit - This is the Model Year

B = 1981

11th digit - This is the Assembly Plant code

B = Baltimore, MD
D = Doraville, GA
K = Leeds, MO
R = Arlington, TX
Z = Fremont, CA
1 = Oshawa, Canada

12th through 17th digits – Sequential Production Number

100001 – Sequential Production Number

wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
manchester,nh
only off by one digit, not bad for needing glasses :p now i just need to get the last number figured out.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
1gccw80k5br133752 is the only combination that Carfax acknowledges as being valid. I don't have an account but you can enter VINs on their homepage and if it's valid, they will try to sell you a report. All other combos gave an error.

wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
manchester,nh
i used a pick and cleaned the plate, the last 2 are 27. at least now i can register the damn thing without hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor