New to me 86 GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I will say this clearly: If you bought a ScanMaster after 1999 you are a ****ing idiot sheep.
also the TR community was drying up or just plain full of cranky old farts and leftover shitty personalities.

Someone needs to go take a sh*t or something. 🤪

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Just quick update, didn't get a chance to read the new posts and reply. Cooling system holds pressure just fine, 4 out of 6 cylinders are within one or two pounds of 160 psi. 1 cylinder reads 170 psi, and one right around 150... That's really not bad I don't think. Starting to think engine might be fairly healthy, I don't have a manual what should the compression be ideally?

Reactions: 1 user

Sundancer

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2015
Long Island, NY
Much respect to everyone here who does what they like to there car, no matter what others think😂my 1985 Grand Prix LE stays totally stock with a constant emphasis on mechanical and her exterior - All original👍

Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Just quick update, didn't get a chance to read the new posts and reply. Cooling system holds pressure just fine, 4 out of 6 cylinders are within one or two pounds of 160 psi. 1 cylinder reads 170 psi, and one right around 150... That's really not bad I don't think. Starting to think engine might be fairly healthy, I don't have a manual what should the compression be ideally?

Anyone got an opinion on whether those numbers are okay, should I be worried?

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
The 150 is a little low, but the 170 is good.

Yeah 150 worried me more than any of the others, now that said I did the test on a cold engine that's been sitting for at least a month. Compression may be better on a warm engine, and who knows if I'm getting good ring seal...

Also did a coolant pressure test, pumped it up to 16 psi and it held that pressure for like 15 minutes before I was satisfied there's no significant leaks and released the pressure.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The compression variance is fine. My old Buick was about the same and I constantly ran that thing hard. If you didn't hear air leaking past the valves or rings all should be well enough.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
The compression variance is fine. My old Buick was about the same and I constantly ran that thing hard. If you didn't hear air leaking past the valves or rings all should be well enough.
I didn't do a leak down test, so I couldn't hear anything... Just cranking it for few seconds till the gauge didn't go any higher. Reset, move to the next cylinder, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor