New to me 86 GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Hi everyone, just thought I'd post a thread concerning the car I just picked up. Got an 86 Grand National with astro roof (wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't really mind it either). Haven't attempted to drive it, worried about what has been done to it. it's been sitting for quite some time, and it's kind of a mess under the hood with wiring and plugs that don't seem to go anywhere. I know some of it is for the air conditioning which has been removed, but other connections are really troubling. The other thing is there's some kind of valve on the boost/vacuum line to the waste gate that's just dangling, I think it's some kind of boost controller but I don't know how it works.

Think I should take my chances and just fire it up take it down the street and see what it does? After changing all the fluids and filters of course... Or do you think I should preemptively pull the engine and have it checked out and freshened up?

Oil pressure seems low to me, around 20-25 psi cold at idle, lower when warm, bit of smoke comes out of the valve cover breathers... Could be blow by, or maybe something more serious? Been told the stock timing chain sprockets are a weak link and if original should be changed. Also was told oil system is marginal at best, so a good fresh high pressure/volume pump is essential. Think I should pull the timing cover and rebuild the pump, and replace the timing set, and hope for the best?

I can afford a total overhaul, but I don't want to if it's not worth it. But I have this gut feeling is got a blown head gasket or something else bad... There's no oil in the radiator, and no coolant in the oil, but the oil on the underside of the filler cap was all milky.

Maybe I'll just change the oil and filter, and drain and refill the cooling system and see what happens. Sorry if I'm rambling or not making much sense, just got the car and my mind is kind of going in circles.
IMG_20190317_081403462.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

The car is probably fine, the condensation under the oil filler cap is from lots of cold start/short drives. Smoke out the breathers is normal wear for a 30 year old engine. Missing and haggered parts/wiring is normal previous owner nonsense too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Why was it parked?

If it's got smoke out the v/cover breathers and no oil pressure, you already have your answer.

Judging from that fuel pressure gauge bolted to the hood, it's probably had a somewhat rough life.

Post some more pics. Lets see if it's worthy of your retirement savings.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Hi everyone, just thought I'd post a thread concerning the car I just picked up. Got an 86 Grand National with astro roof (wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't really mind it either). Haven't attempted to drive it, worried about what has been done to it. it's been sitting for quite some time, and it's kind of a mess under the hood with wiring and plugs that don't seem to go anywhere. I know some of it is for the air conditioning which has been removed, but other connections are really troubling. The other thing is there's some kind of valve on the boost/vacuum line to the waste gate that's just dangling, I think it's some kind of boost controller but I don't know how it works.

Think I should take my chances and just fire it up take it down the street and see what it does? After changing all the fluids and filters of course... Or do you think I should preemptively pull the engine and have it checked out and freshened up?

Oil pressure seems low to me, around 20-25 psi cold at idle, lower when warm, bit of smoke comes out of the valve cover breathers... Could be blow by, or maybe something more serious? Been told the stock timing chain sprockets are a weak link and if original should be changed. Also was told oil system is marginal at best, so a good fresh high pressure/volume pump is essential. Think I should pull the timing cover and rebuild the pump, and replace the timing set, and hope for the best?

I can afford a total overhaul, but I don't want to if it's not worth it. But I have this gut feeling is got a blown head gasket or something else bad... There's no oil in the radiator, and no coolant in the oil, but the oil on the underside of the filler cap was all milky.

Maybe I'll just change the oil and filter, and drain and refill the cooling system and see what happens. Sorry if I'm rambling or not making much sense, just got the car and my mind is kind of going in circles.
View attachment 108994
Congratulations on your new ride!! The 86's are a rare beast, and with the CF5 option, AWESOME! Glad it went to a good home!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
If all the fluids are low and the oil is milky, I definitely WOULD NOT just fire it up and drive it. Get it flat-bedded home, and do the due diligence with changing the fluids, compression test, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html

The car is probably fine, the condensation under the oil filler cap is from lots of cold start/short drives. Smoke out the breathers is normal wear for a 30 year old engine. Missing and haggered parts/wiring is normal previous owner nonsense too.
Thanks, yeah I considered that it was just condensation, but it still worries me. And the wiring. Tempted to get a complete harness from Casper's unless there is another option. Anyone know of a harness repair service that is reasonable? Wiring is not my forte in the least.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
If all the fluids are low and the oil is milky, I definitely WOULD NOT just fire it up and drive it. Get it flat-bedded home, and do the due diligence with changing the fluid, compression test, etc.
Yeah I planned to change all the fluids either way. And it was trailered to where it is now, haven't even started it since I bought it.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Why was it parked?

If it's got smoke out the v/cover breathers and no oil pressure, you already have your answer.

Judging from that fuel pressure gauge bolted to the hood, it's probably had a somewhat rough life.

Post some more pics. Lets see if it's worthy of your retirement savings.
Previous owner said it was parked because he planned to restore it, but got into other projects, and back burner the GN till he finally decided he wasn't going to get to it. Whether that's true is anyone's guess, however he had several 1st Gen Camaros.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The oil pressure on the Buicks is lower than most engines. 8-10 psi hot is very normal. Too much pressure is a bad thing on them. High oil pressure will eat the front cam bearing and wear the cam sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor