New to the Gbody world and Need Advice on Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

78CutlassPhil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2020
For just a cruiser thats overkill. Replace all of your bushings, springs, and shocks. Then if you want something better, replace control arms. UMI has ones that can later have coilovers added. Then do the rear. If you keep the car you’ll probably want to keep improving it. You can do it in stages. So your not dumping a ton of $$$$ all at one time. Steering improvements are a good place to start. Jeep/Astro steering shaft Grand National steering box. Don’t overwhelm yourself with too big a project at one time. BTW WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Thanks Appreciate it. This is exactly what I needed to know.

78CutlassPhil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2020
If you want to stick with UMI, here's a more budget friendly option.
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/product/1978-1988-gm-g-body-umi-shock-and-spring-kit/

Then you could upgrade the sway bars, and get better front brakes and be done. There's a few options for replacing the front (too small) rotors on here. Plenty of real world info from guys that have done it. I think there are some upgrades for the rear wheel cylinders that guy do instead of converting to rear discs.

That would get you stopping and turning better than that car ever has and not crack the piggy bank in half.

Hutch

Appreciate the Info!

78CutlassPhil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2020
Welcome to the forum!

I found this post when I first got my Monte and have loosely been following it in terms of suspension upgrades. Post #2 has a pretty good breakdown.

I got the Blazer brake upgrade from Jamcar223 and have added almost all stock braces and have noticed a night and day difference. Good luck and keep us updated with what you decide. Photos are always welcome and appreciated.

Wow! great info!

78CutlassPhil

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2020
Welcome to the forum from another square Cutlass owner. The guys on here love pictures if you have more. I have to agree that coilovers are overkill for our cars. Significant upgrades in ride quality, stance, braking, and handling can be done with stock style suspension. The search bar on upper right side is your friend. The post from 88AZSS is a good place to start. Where do you call home?

I will get more pics this weekend when I start taking everything apart. I'm Located in St. Louis, MO....I also have a ton of extra parts and rally wheels that I plan on selling in the future.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Whats wrong with a LS swap? It has a stock 260 in it now...and that's definitely not enough power.
I want your frame pads. Please don't trash them.

My issues with LS swaps pertain more to the lack of imagination than anything else. I couldn't possibly argue the reliability and power output,; that's pointless. However, i can't stand seeing them under the hood of, literally, everything. It especially hurts, being an Olds guy, to see one stabbed in place of a now-defunct brand.
I love hearing the horror stories of those that think they can LS swap because it's "cheap" and "easy". Maybe, I'm a sociopath, but seeing people skip down the garden trail whistling "zip-i-de-doo-dah" only to pull their hair out later amuses me.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My issues with LS swaps pertain more to the lack of imagination than anything else. I couldn't possibly argue the reliability and power output,; that's pointless. However, i can't stand seeing them under the hood of, literally, everything. It especially hurts, being an Olds guy, to see one stabbed in place of a now-defunct brand.
I love hearing the horror stories of those that think they can LS swap because it's "cheap" and "easy". Maybe, I'm a sociopath, but seeing people skip down the garden trail whistling "zip-i-de-doo-dah" only to pull their hair out later amuses me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor