New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
ive checked the bolts they are tight the fly wheel is not in the best of shape but when going for a normal take off it shifts fine but while sitting at a stop light some times it will act up where it drops in rpms and starts making the knocking noise then some days it acts just fine its really weird and to be honest i know nothing about trans
Honestly id pull the torque converter off check the teeth on the trans where the torque converter slips on thats how my turbo 200 went at high rpm when the converter tries to lock puts to much torque on the worn teeth causing it to slip on the shaft and "knock" or grind

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Matty89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2017
Honestly id pull the torque converter off check the teeth on the trans where the torque converter slips on thats how my turbo 200 went at high rpm when the converter tries to lock puts to much torque on the worn teeth causing it to slip on the shaft and "knock" or grind
the fly wheel is missing teeth ive not been able to drop the trans yet but going to try to soon to futher inspect the problem because its getting worse plus the motor has some issues also.

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
the fly wheel is missing teeth ive not been able to drop the trans yet but going to try to soon to futher inspect the problem because its getting worse plus the motor has some issues also.
Your flex plate missing teeth would only affect your starter causing it to slip when you turn over the motor and if its missing too many can throw the balance out of wack. I dont live in decatur but im actually moving there the 19th of may lol if you are driving it i might be able to give some thoughts on it

Matty89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2017
it has no problem turning over besides the other issues with the motor on my old chevy i used to have the flywheel was bad on it and i experienced what it sounds like its nothing of that sort
Your flex plate missing teeth would only affect your starter causing it to slip when you turn over the motor and if its missing too many can throw the balance out of wack. I dont live in decatur but im actually moving there the 19th of may lol if you are driving it i might be able to give some thoughts on it

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
it has no problem turning over besides the other issues with the motor on my old chevy i used to have the flywheel was bad on it and i experienced what it sounds like its nothing of that sort
bad flex plate can mean multiple things, missing teeth, bent or warped, or even the bolt holes being worn out the flex plate bolts to the motor and the torque converter bolts to the flex plate. The teeth on the flex plate are what the starter grabs ahold of when it engages if teeth are missing it has nothing to grab hold of if it engages in that spot causing the starter to just spin or grind as it tries to grab what it can. The torque converter goes on a shaft from the transmission that has gear like teeth on the end. I was suggesting if the teeth on the end of that shaft are worn or damaged the torque converter when it tries to grab the shaft when it locks could be slipping under the torque

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
I wasnt saying your flex plate was the issue i was stating the shaft the torque converter slides on might be the culprit and should be something you check when dropping the trans

Matty89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2017
I wasnt saying your flex plate was the issue i was stating the shaft the torque converter slides on might be the culprit and should be something you check when dropping the trans
will keep that in mind when i drop it thanks

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey Matty, Welcome from West Michigan.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor