Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
khan0165 said:
I think anyone who's used Dynamat swears by it. I've heard nothing but good things... except on the price...
... but it's surely a "you get what you pay for" scenerio.

I looked into cheaper options, like the stick-on pipe insulation from HomeDepot... but up here, getting 20packs of those costs almost as much as a Dynamat kit. And there's also bubble wrap stuff... but that's just stupid.

Do they sell Dynamat online? I didn't know if any retailers sold it as well. I saw it a couple times at swap meets last year.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Here's something I've been told (by a few installers) about dynomat. The way most people install it, with total coverage is way overkill. Cut it into strips about 2" wide (length would depend on the area being covered) and space them about 3" apart. Only going for 1/3-1/2 coverage. If you have a 10000 watt stereo, or are going for a luxury silent ride, then yeah, cover it all. But for the average car that's not needed. And it's cheaper and lighter this way too lol.

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
No expensive stereo here....I should be ok just using it on the floor and roof to keep some sound vibrations down. It's not too bad right now, so anything will just help even more.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah, Phoenyx is right...
you can by pre-made kits, which are quite costly.
But I believe you can buy just a simple sqare sheet and cut it to your size at home... far better option, in my opinion.

and I believe Yes, they do sell online.
and I've heard it's a good idea to buy a roller to apply to your interior... stick it on, and roll form it onto the floor and contours.

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
khan0165 said:
yeah, Phoenyx is right...
you can by pre-made kits, which are quite costly.
But I believe you can buy just a simple sqare sheet and cut it to your size at home... far better option, in my opinion.

and I believe Yes, they do sell online.
and I've heard it's a good idea to buy a roller to apply to your interior... stick it on, and roll form it onto the floor and contours.

That little roller is the solid roller that pushes the mat down in all the cracks right? I think I may have something here that will work too. If they aren't too expensive (which you wouldn't think they would be) I'll probably just get one anyway! You can never have enough tools!! :mrgreen:

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
Next Sunday heading to the swap meet...hopefully find some Dynamat and maybe a few things for the other Malibu!! :lol:

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
speedkills80 said:
Thanks...it will most likely get a bit quieter when I finish the exhaust. I want it to come back and finish out behind the rear wheels. Like factory. I should have that done sometime in April or May.

Here is the new exhaust pipes I had put on today. I will get some behind and side pics tomorrow if it doesnt rain ....again!!!

malibu010.jpg

malibu009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor