New wheels finally on the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
[QU
**edit** Thanks for the link. The frustration in my earlier reply was not directed at you - I spent an unbelievable amount of time researchlng this and then trying to solve the problem afterwards. I'm grateful for the the solution you provided.

I actually like the steelies better, but I grabbed a set of the aluminum ones just in case the project was a failure.

OTE="JimmyP70, post: 473460, member: 17710"]I a lot

I took a lot of measurements before buying these. They fit perfect. The only thing I would do different is use larger (wider) tires. 225-45-18 in the front, no rubbing full lock to full lock. I could easily fit a 245. I am running 245-45-18 rear, and could probably use a 275.[/QUOTE]
Mom

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks for the compliment. It's embarrassing that I've owned it for 15 years, and despite the new 400 under the hood, I still have not yet made it run. Too many obligations and distractions.

I did a bunch of research on Tire Rack, and decided 235/45-18 was the least risky size for me. Found a set on Craigslist. When I got them mounted up, visually, they have about the same cross section as a 255/50-16. I'll probably go up to a 245/45-18 if and when I get this figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.JPG
    IMG_5464.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 284

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
Thanks for the compliment. It's embarrassing that I've owned it for 15 years, and despite the new 400 under the hood, I still have not yet made it run. Too many obligations and distractions.

I did a bunch of research on Tire Rack, and decided 235/45-18 was the least risky size for me. Found a set on Craigslist. When I got them mounted up, visually, they have about the same cross section as a 255/50-16. I'll probably go up to a 245/45-18 if and when I get this figured out.

I ended up buying used tires on craiglist, too. I will take some pictures tomorrow to show you how much clearance I have with my tires.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I did a bunch of research on Tire Rack, and decided 235/45-18 was the least risky size for me. Found a set on Craigslist. When I got them mounted up, visually, they have about the same cross section as a 255/50-16. I'll probably go up to a 245/45/18 if and when I get this figured out.

This is a good call IMO.
I went 245/40/18 in the front and reget it everytime I drive. Dodging every little pothole sucks. There just isnt enough sidewall with this size for me to be comfortable with. I intend to buy 245(or 255)/45/18s next. Whats weird and sucks is it seems to me there is a noticable price jump between the 40 and 45 series tires.

Sorry for the hijack.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Sorry for the hijack.
Not a hijack given the feedback you offered. I'm taking the budget route to 18s because I see bigger brakes in the future, and frankly, I can't see spending $1200 on rims, and then more on tires. Given how cheap (and common) the Gen 5 18" rims are, steel or aluminum, I suspect that finding a replacement when I bend one will be less of a hassle that trying to obtain an obsolete aftermarket one...

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
Not a hijack given the feedback you offered. I'm taking the budget route to 18s because I see bigger brakes in the future, and frankly, I can't see spending $1200 on rims, and then more on tires. Given how cheap (and common) the Gen 5 18" rims are, steel or aluminum, I suspect that finding a replacement when I bend one will be less of a hassle that trying to obtain an obsolete aftermarket one...

The 40 series tires are to short.
The 225-45-18 I am using is 26.1" diameter, and the 245-45-18 is 26.4"
I wanted to keep the diameter as close to 26" as possible so it wouldn't screw up the speedometer. I ran 235-60-15 before these.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Last night the the EBay seller had four sets of the adapters listed for sale. Well, I waited too long to grab a set. Four somebodies hit 'Buy It Now'.:doh:

He promises he will have more in about four weeks. I have no problem waiting, since the car does not even run at the moment, but I hope he follows through and makes some more sets...

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
Last night the the EBay seller had four sets of the adapters listed for sale. Well, I waited too long to grab a set. Four somebodies hit 'Buy It Now'.:doh:

He promises he will have more in about four weeks. I have no problem waiting, since the car does not even run at the moment, but I hope he follows through and makes some more sets...

I bought mine quite a while ago, so I am sure he makes (or buys) them regularly.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
It's good to see some one tried these wheels! I see them pop up on Craigslist all the time, for only a few hundred bucks. I may have to go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor