New wheels finally on the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
20150513_192632.jpg

2012 Camaro 18x7.5 w/ 225-45-18 front, 245-45-18 rear tires. SPC springs and KYB shocks and F41 sway bars. Bell tech spindles, AFCO low friction ball joints and Speedway motors upper control arms came in today. The Del-a-lum bushings for the lower arms are back ordered :(
AC Delco center link, inner and outer tie rods and idler arm coming in this week.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Looks great! Nice sidewall/rim ratio. How did you deal with the lug nuts? I have the aluminum version of these wheels, and discovered that the Camaro uses M14 lugs. I have not yet found adapters that have M12 holes for the G-body, but M14 studs for the rims. There does not look like much shoulder for the smaller M12 lug nuts to grab on the Camaro rims. I picked up 20 Camaro M14 studs from RockAuto, but I need to turn down the heads a little, then bore the adapters out to the larger M14 shank size....too much for the caveman machine shop (drill press) to accomplish.

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
Looks great! Nice sidewall/rim ratio. How did you deal with the lug nuts? I have the aluminum version of these wheels, and discovered that the Camaro uses M14 lugs. I have not yet found adapters that have M12 holes for the G-body, but M14 studs for the rims. There does not look like much shoulder for the smaller M12 lug nuts to grab on the Camaro rims. I picked up 20 Camaro M14 studs from RockAuto, but I need to turn down the heads a little, then bore the adapters out to the larger M14 shank size....too much for the caveman machine shop (drill press) to accomplish.

The adapters I bought were specifically made to mount to the M12 hub/ axle and have M14 studs for the wheels. I am using the stock double threaded lug nuts to mount the center caps. Check out the link I posted above.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
$$#%%^&*@@#$%%@#!!!! I searched and searched and searched, and never could find that combination!
Oh well, that's the benefit of joining the Forum - someone often solves an unsolvable problem for you. I wasted a lot of CPU time between the earlobes, but at least I procrastinated long enough that I did not spend lots of money re-engineering a set of inexpensive adapters until someone let me in on the secret (hiding in plain sight, apparently).

Now that you have driven around on them, how do you like the fit? Any rubbing? Do these adapters fit over the front hubs - mine just hit the taper.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
**edit** Thanks for the link. The frustration in my earlier reply was not directed at you - I spent an unbelievable amount of time researchlng this and then trying to solve the problem afterwards. I'm grateful for the the solution you provided.

I actually like the steelies better, but I grabbed a set of the aluminum ones just in case the project was a failure.

Attachments

• IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

JimmyP70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2013
I a lot
**edit** Thanks for the link. The frustration in my earlier reply was not directed at you - I spent an unbelievable amount of time researchlng this and then trying to solve the problem afterwards. I'm grateful for the the solution you provided.

I actually like the steelies better, but I grabbed a set of the aluminum ones just in case the project was a failure.

I took a lot of measurements before buying these. They fit perfect. The only thing I would do different is use larger (wider) tires. 225-45-18 in the front, no rubbing full lock to full lock. I could easily fit a 245. I am running 245-45-18 rear, and could probably use a 275.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor