Newb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Hi all... I am in the process of purchasing a minty fresh '86 GP with a 305, TH200-4R, and the body of a 5 year old car. The car has 145,*** km on it, or around 90,000 miles. I hope to have it by the weekend, pics will follow. :D

My last project was a turbo'd '83 Celica GTS, with a Megasquirt EFI and a ton of mods. I hope to use what I learned to install an LM7 in the Pontiac, and eventually turbocharge it as well. It would be a blast to build a 500-600hp street car with a Vortec engine! :twisted:

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Agreed on price...I'll pick the car up on Saturday. I went over the chassis front to back before negotiating the deal....it's almost as clean underneath as it is on top. It needs a few minor things, tie-rod ends, bushings are worn, etc. Nothing major and none of it too hard to do myself.

The plan is to drive it some this summer while I do some work on my beater Toyota pickup, get to know it a little. Weigh it, and run it at the local Street Legals just to get a baseline. Once the weather starts to change, it will go into the garage for winter. I'll go through the chassis, do the brakes, front end, shocks, and all bushings. Hopefully I can get the trans redone as well before spring, so it'll be ready for the engine swap.

Here's the pics from the ad-

8747je3_20.jpg

9658a9n_20.jpg

0478d3m_20.jpg

1388119_20.jpg

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Nice lookin' car.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Phoenyx said:
Nice lookin' car.

Thanks. I wasn't really picky about what I bought appearance-wise, I was prepared to shoot it with a flat paint if needed. I was mostly concerned with getting a solid body and especially, frame. There are a lot of rotten g-bodys around here, and very few this clean. The next priority was options, I wanted no t-tops, no power windows, no air (which this one has...), and the 2004R. Last priority was which brand I got....there are things I like and dislike about all of them. My first choice would have been a Regal, second was a Cutty, but this car was just too clean to pass on.

Nice malibu, too. Those are the hardest g-bodys to find up here by far, all the good ones have been grabbed up. :wink:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Cool, does the air work? I used to always go for cars without air, and if they had it I removed it pretty quick. But I had a car a few years ago with air, and I left it in Wasn't anything cool or fast lol). But after that, all my cars have to have air now. I can't stand not having it. My Malibu has it, but it's not working at the moment.

The way I see it: I don't care how much faster my car is without the A/C in it. If I'm not comfortable (ie. sweating my bag off), I don't even want to go cruising. But maybe that's just because I'm getting old lol?

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Thanks guys!

To be honest, I didn't try the air, since I plan on removing it anyway. I'll bet it does though, everything else works like new on the car. I wanted no AC due to weight concerns, and just to keep it simpler overall. I plan on some serious boosted gen III power in this car, so the less to go wrong the better. It does get hot up here in the summer, it went up to near 90F today.... but the car won't be a daily, so the air will probably go. I'll need to keep the heater though, the cruising is best here in the fall, when the air is cool and the sun sets early. :)

On a side note, I took my Celica to the track tonight for a last blast before I sell it. Ran a 14.206 at 98.57 in 86F air! Not bad for 2.4 litres.... turbos are wonderful things.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Lol 90 degrees would feel great down here in my neck of the woods. I drive my 80 malibu everyday and it is constantly 106 degrees down here in south texas. Love it cause the cars never rot but you gotta make sure you have dark tint so the interior doesnt get fried. Your car does look great for its age though. What part of the country do you live in?

Picture119.jpg

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
patmckinneyracing said:
Lol 90 degrees would feel great down here in my neck of the woods. I drive my 80 malibu everyday and it is constantly 106 degrees down here in south texas. Love it cause the cars never rot but you gotta make sure you have dark tint so the interior doesnt get fried. Your car does look great for its age though. What part of the country do you live in?

Haha, I'm not even in the same country! I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. At 53* 34" north, we're a lot closer to the north pole than we are to the equator...... :shock: It sure makes for distinct seasons, we have nice summers and fantastic falls, but winter sucks and spring is just allergy season for me. The cool thing about being this far north is that the sun stays up in the summer longer, in June/July it's daylight til about 11PM.

Hotrodders up here use the winter to build, so every spring brings a new crop of projects, which I always look forward to.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow cool, I'm south of you in Medicine Hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor