Newbie 88 Monte Carlo LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree I think they will hold to a point but I want to get beyond where I think a 7.5" will comfortably hold.

Anyway my question is how many splines do the GBody 7.5" axles have?

I ask because the LT1/LS Camaros used a 7.5 and I think the LS is when GM increased the splines on the 7.5" The LT1 Camaros are heavier than a Monte and seems the LT1 did ok... What do you suggest can be done to increase the life of a 7.5?

They had 26 splines into I believe the mid '90s when they changed the body style. Also be aware sometime in the late '80s they changed the carrier from 7.5' to 7.625". Upgrades I have in mind for mine are a support cover, better axles, and more splines. I don't know if welded tubes would be required at this power level, but with everything else that's being done it's a fairly minor process considering the rear is being completely disassembled anyway.

Thats what I thought. I thought the 7.5 was 26 splines until the 98 LS Camaro then they have 28 splines. I f I touch the differential I will probably modify an 8.8

I am still considering simply putting in an LT1 and make !325 RWHP. That would allow me to also use the 4L60E...but I had intended to go much higher power and use a 4L80E...

Decisions decisions. If it had an 8.5 it would be a no brainer but if I put an 8.8 in it will also be bullet proof sooo...

Excellent that is exactly what I was looking for. I was going to get an 8.5 from a B Body this Friday but didn't like the problems of shoe horning it in. The total is more than I want to pay but you always pay for convience and it will definately make it bullet proof.

I am back thinking of 650 HP after seeing your post.

Thanks
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor