Newbie here - don't know squat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvetteronw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2009
Lowell, Michigan
I sold my last Corvette a couple of years ago and have been looking around for another automobile hobby.
I looked at some of the cars for sale sites and noticed that the G bodies look interesting. I want my next project to be rear wheel drive, small block GM and relatively affordable. Since my left knee has been acting up on me I will probably get one with an automatic transmission.
I will have lots of questions.
#1. What years came with an overdrive transmission and were they the 700R4 or something else? :?:

corvetteronw

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2009
Lowell, Michigan
Thank you!
What year did these cars start dealing with computer controls? i.e. the dreaded "check engine" light.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
I believe it was 1981 and even then it was only on cars that had v8s, atleast that what it says in my original 1981 el camino owners manual, I got lucky, my car was originaly a 229 v6, now it has a 355, but anyway welcome gbodys are good car to get into too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor