No avail

kingchris

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2018
Ok have a 350 chevy Monte Carlo ss the engine is different from the vehicle. Having issues starting it. Changed the pump. Still can't get gas to the carb. Put a syphon pump on the feed line and pump out to look like some bad gas it was black. Pumped the gas tank out put more in pumped till I was able to see clear fluid. Still nothing. Put carb cleaner got it turn over start then shut off. Have no clue what it could be was thinking vapor lock maybe but idk. Can't find a decent mechanic that knows what they are doing with a older vehicle so idk was thinking maybe I didn't install the pin correctly so it's not sitting on the shaft of the pump. I'm praying it's not the cam lobe or anything crazy. Thought about putting a gas can and gravity feeding the carb. But it won't help the issue so idk any observations or anything I'm missing any help would be appreciated.
Pss. It was running then stopped and wouldn't start so then I started the process with changing fuel pump etc.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Quadrajet? If you had black gas, make sure the filter on the inlet to the carb is not plugged. Be careful you don't twist and crimp the tube. Use a flare wrench.

Reactions: 2 users

kingchris

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2018
Quadrajet? If you had black gas, make sure the filter on the inlet to the carb is not plugged. Be careful you don't twist and crimp the tube. Use a flare wrench.
It's a demon 1901. Nothing is clogged removed and checked everything.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Do you have any idea why the gas was black? Is it old or does the tank have a hole that's letting dirt/ water in? You were driving this regularly?

Was the tank cleaned when the sending unit was replaced? The logical answer is yes but sometimes things don't go right and we have to compromise.

Be absolutely certain that Demon is clean. They were NOTORIOUS for having metal shavings all throughout because it apparently was not their job to provide a carb that was ready. It was always on the customer to remove the bowls and such to clean it before fuel had a chance to carry that junk everywhere. I mean to tell you Demon carbs came full of shavings.

How strong was the flow when you syphoned out the black gas? It's entirely possible to flow a small amount of gas with an obstruction in the way, but if the suction increases then the obstruction can completely block the flow. A flake of rust is usually the culprit in this case.

I overlooked the hoses on top of the tank and mine were so rotten that the flow suffered to the point of the carb not filling unless I was at a certain RPM, but I couldn't exceed a certain RPM either. Your pump might be sucking in lots of air, though I'd imagine those hoses were changed when the sending unit was installed.

If you have access to compressed air you may try pressurizing the tank and checking if that changes anything. It is possible to achieve flow even if the hoses I mentioned were rotten if the pressure is high enough.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Iis there any gas coming out of the pump? Before you go tearing into the tank, pull the line off the carb and crank it alot to see if you get gas squirting out. If gas does squirt then getting fuel from the tank is not the problem but the carb.

kingchris

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2018
Do you have any idea why the gas was black? Is it old or does the tank have a hole that's letting dirt/ water in? You were driving this regularly?

Was the tank cleaned when the sending unit was replaced? The logical answer is yes but sometimes things don't go right and we have to compromise.

Be absolutely certain that Demon is clean. They were NOTORIOUS for having metal shavings all throughout because it apparently was not their job to provide a carb that was ready. It was always on the customer to remove the bowls and such to clean it before fuel had a chance to carry that junk everywhere. I mean to tell you Demon carbs came full of shavings.

How strong was the flow when you syphoned out the black gas? It's entirely possible to flow a small amount of gas with an obstruction in the way, but if the suction increases then the obstruction can completely block the flow. A flake of rust is usually the culprit in this case.

I overlooked the hoses on top of the tank and mine were so rotten that the flow suffered to the point of the carb not filling unless I was at a certain RPM, but I couldn't exceed a certain RPM either. Your pump might be sucking in lots of air, though I'd imagine those hoses were changed when the sending unit was installed.

If you have access to compressed air you may try pressurizing the tank and checking if that changes anything. It is possible to achieve flow even if the hoses I mentioned were rotten if the pressure is high enough.
It was old gas that was sitting probably for a while. Yeah wanting to pressurize the tank need to find me a second person. Demon carb isn't new which thinking about getting a new carb not sure if it's the issue or not. Has a strong flow as well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor