No lockup in a Metric 200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
Trust me, I know all too well about all the other sensors and switches. I did try pulling codes and got a code 45, rich exhaust, which is basically one of the "could be damn near anything" codes. I did replace the O2 sensor, which was original, and I may just do all the others one by one since they all appear to be originals as well.

IIRC, somewhere I remember seeing someone talking about running a switch to control the lockup manually. Any idea on how to do something along that line?

Cheers,
Aaron

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
Code 45 does narrow it down. That code only sets after 5 minutes of running in closed loop, part throttle. It may be time for a carb overhaul, there could be a problem with the metering rods or solenoid not allowing it to go lean. Checking the dwell of the M/C might give some idea, too.

The simplest way to manually control lockup is to run a wire from terminal D, to a switch, to ground. Just realize that it will lock in any gear with that setup, but it will retain the brake release.

It's possible to set it up with the pressure switch and all that, but I'm sure you want something simple for the time being.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
Ok guys, this is my "Well DUH!" moment. I got under it to do a transmission filter and fluid change, and went to check the connection and it was UNPLUGGED! That's just like me to look at all the complicated sh*t first. :oops:

Anyway, plugged it in, changed the filter and fluid, cleaned out the carb (still might need a rebuild), tightened the carb mounting bolts (needed about 2 turns each), and had some extra time on my hands so I gutted the AIR pump to get rid of some drag. I also did the cap and rotor the other day. Took her out for a spin and now she runs like a top! :D Slowly accelerated a couple of times and got the lockup to kick in at around 35-40 mph. So we're good to go!

I did get a code 23 after my test run, but since I was messing with the carb a bit the MC solenoid might have come loose (the plastic tab is broken, joy) so I'll check into that.

Thanks all for all the info and advice!

Cheers,
Aaron

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yep, it's usually something simple. Glad you figured it out.

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
That's great! Much better than having to drop the trans to replace a solenoid :D

Once you get that rich mixture sorted out, it'll probably shoot up to near 20 mpg.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Run it around for a while and see if it remains OK. A lot of people disconnect the TC lockout on purpose as when the CCC system starts having issues, it tends to pulse the TC in and out of lockup which is very annoying while driving.

-UT-

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
I plan to run it around this week and see how it goes. I had an '84 MC that had that problem, never unplugged it but tried every damn thing in the book to try to fix it. After all the sensors were replaced and even the ECM, still went in and out of lockup. Turned out the wiring in that car had been butchered by someone before I got it.

BTW, checked the MC solenoid this evening, and turns out I left the damn connector off. :oops: Put it back on and no codes so far. I'll run it for a few days and let you know what happens! Thanks again fellas!

Aaron

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
Well, so far it's been almost a week. Haven't had any issues with the lockup thus far. It kicks in between 35-40 under normal around town driving, which is right in line from what I remember.

However, I still get the code 45. My check engine light comes on for a minute or so and then goes out, so I still need to find what's up with that. Other than that, she's running beautifully, and the gas gauge seems to be moving a bit slower now. No numbers on it yet, but on the next fill up I'll be sure to check it out. :D

Cheers,
Aaron

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
Well, two things have happened since I found the problem.

1) My choke wasn't opening all the way when warm, which seems to be what was causing the code 45. Even since I fixed it, no check engine light! Yay!

2) The TC doesn't cycle in and out like sometimes happens on these. I'm having the opposite problem, it wants to stay locked up once the vehicle warms up. When coming to a stop, the car lugs down and almost stalls before it will unlock (at about 10 mph). Also while driving around, you have force a downshift by giving it a lot of throttle to get it to unlock. If you accelerate lightly it lugs and bucks. Perhaps this is why it was disconnected in the first place. :(

Eventually it seems I'll need to see what's up with it. But at this point, which is going to cause more trouble? Either disconnecting the plug for the solenoid, or just live with the lugging down issue?

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor