No more Roadkill/Motor Trend titles on youtube?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So apparently, TEN has decided not to continue posting their content on Youtube.

Supposedly it will still be available at no charge on the website...

I enjoyed watching it on the TV, not sure if that'll work from the website

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
The bigger story here is that youtube is moving away from monetization. No more small channels, they need to produce or they get axed. I hear this is how TV used to work back in the day.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I watched an episode of roadkill on the MT site. You have to download an app. It's kinda glitchy and clear full of ads (10 of them in a twenty minute show). It'll test their viewer base for sure.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
People are blaming youtube for this unfairly. YouTube didn't own nor had any input on RK, or any of the MT/TEN shows. It was simply the platform in which the content was delivered to the public. YT doesn't own any videos, aside from the shows they themselves actually produce, on their paid subscription YouTube Red. They don't own my, Hafrod, or anone's content.

From Wikipedia, TEN owns these publications:
Disccovery Communications formed a joint venture with TEN last year, and well you know how that turned out. Wanna blame someone? Blame Discovery.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Discovery, or at their their social media guy, also turned off liking and commenting on the entire channel of videos. Gee, I wonder why...
Who knows how long the old episodes will last. This is why people pirate stuff.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Meh, between Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Google Play I am getting pretty fed up with paying for online content. So if Roadkill and friends want to go private good for them - however, I am not following them; and this has nothing to do with wanting free content as I still pay TEN et al for hard copy magazine subscriptions.

I do enjoy MCM and their spinoffs, and Hoonigans because it doesn't feel entirely over produced (yet).

Here is an excellent take on TEN switching off Youtube:
https://mightycarmods.com/blogs/news/who-is-going-to-pay-for-it

I'll just spend more time in the garage.

Nov 4, 2012
I pretty much quit watching Roadkill a year or so ago. I followed it religiously when it first came out, but after the Dodge sponsorship and their MTOD stuff, I was tired of hearing them making sales pitches for MTOD and hearing them blab about their sponsors.

It used to be about dirt cheap hot rodding but sponsors pretty much ruined it IMO. It became way overproduced, really fast. And if I have to pay to watch it, they can piss off, the program just isn't that good.

I was following Finnegan's Garage for a while, but compared to Roadkill it was pretty boring and the shameless begging for sponsorship was a major turnoff.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The bigger story here is that youtube is moving away from monetization. No more small channels, they need to produce or they get axed. I hear this is how TV used to work back in the day.

People that post videos don't get monetize anymore, so they don't have to have ads, right?

If somebody isn't going to make $100 every 6 months from the stupid things their cat does, they just take the ads off and youtube makes nothing. I'll take monetization off if I'm getting nothing out of it but ads on my videos.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I had a video go "viral" in Eastern Europe of all places:

I guess they were amazed that in the height of the cold war, the US was building working cars for kids.

It was before "monetization" so I doubt even a million views made me much money over the last 10 years.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Up until about 9 months ago, I used to work for TEN. Just after I left, the Discovery deal was announced. I can tell you there's a large profit motivation, and I can't say I'm too surprised at this development. They've been pumping up Motor Trend on Demand for a long time. Honestly, in the employees-only quarterly meetings, the results in terms of paid subscribers and viewership, I always thought the results were kinda weak.

I don't regret leaving. In the 13 years I was there, I went through three corporate changes, one bankruptcy, and multiple reorganizations and re-assignments. I had been given multiple empty promises of "big things are coming" and "you're a valuable team member." Well, I'd heard it all before, and each time, the boss' buddies were the ones promoted. My new job is in some ways less outwardly glamorous and "fun" but I have a great boss that truly appreciates my work, and makes it a point to express his gratitude for my contributions to the team.

I'm not sure what the long-term strategy is, but I can tell you if you read between the lines of the official TEN/Discovery release, it's pretty clear the new management is intent on winding down the print magazine side, and ultimately going all-digital, and all that entails. I feel the same way. I already pay plenty for cable and internet, so having to pay extra for a subscription app is a little annoying. The content on Velocity seems a little thin, as there are a lot of re-runs. Constantly producing new episodes as expensive, so in terms of the suits, if they think they can just milk re-runs for all they're worth without having to step up production of new content, they'll continue to do that. But with the Discovery/Scripps merger, Discovery essentially has a monopoly on special-interest cable programming. I really hope they don't start putting a lot of the new content behind a paywall. Guess we'll have to wait & see.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor