Noisy wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CenturyAero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Portland
After I run the windshield wipers for around 5 minutes on my 1979 Century they start to knock right at the point where they reverse direction. This will continue till get to my destination. The next day they are quiet till running about 5 minutes then the knocking starts again. I don't seem to find any looseness in the linkage. Anyone have thoughts on what the problem might be ?

thanks, Randy in Portland, OR
second and long time owner of 1979 Buick Century Aero Sedan

Attachments

• 4-5-2018 (Small).jpg
    4-5-2018 (Small).jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 103

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You may want to inspect the attaching arm to the motor. I believe, it has a little slot, which if worn, will not be detectable unless under load as the nut puts tension on it.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Check the washer pump timing, spring and cam. If not aligned or worn parts it will knock pretty bad. Do the wiper blades work smoothly when the knocking is going on?

Reactions: 1 users

CenturyAero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Portland
Thank you airboatgreg. I had replaced the original blades complete instead of just inserts and the wipers work smoothly before and during the knocking noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor