Noob Question #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
OK, I've got the Cutlass uncovered, ready to move and... no keys! The car hasn't been moved in 7 years, and we can't remember where we put them! Back in the day my wife lost her set just after she bought the car, she was able to go to the Olds dealer and they cut a new set from her VIN- any chance of another GM dealer being able to do that?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
areibel said:
OK, I've got the Cutlass uncovered, ready to move and... no keys! The car hasn't been moved in 7 years, and we can't remember where we put them! Back in the day my wife lost her set just after she bought the car, she was able to go to the Olds dealer and they cut a new set from her VIN- any chance of another GM dealer being able to do that?

try any local gm dealer

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
Yep take ownership to your local dealer and they can give ya new ones.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
There is not an antitheft feature on your car. If you are rolling in dough go ahead to the dealership and lose fat bucks, but I have a better idea which is first find any GM square keys you have laying around and see if you can get them to do it. If the tumblers in your ignition are worn out you may be surprised to find it turn. Additionally, a lock smith told me once that out of 100 GM keys to this type of igntion, you have a 1-3% chance of a key turning the igntion w/o any finagling of the key bc they were so imprecise that some are nearly identical!

You might also find that visiting a tow yard is cheaper although they will most likely just take the ignition out and put a 'new' one, but its the same thing and no one will notice so might as well save $$$

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
Yeah, I had thought about new lock cylinders, but even at Zone prices that pushed it up to $55-$60 when you add them all in, and I'm not sure how much of a PITA it is to install the ignition set- I'm more used to OLD stuff, where the ignition switch is in the dash (yeah, an old fart here). Guess I'll call the closest dealer and ask what it would cost then decide.
I've seen the GM key trick work before, we were at a class on a Saturday and the instructor locked his keys in his S10 truck. It was a state owned vehicle, no chance of getting the spares before Monday so we were trying anything. My friend walked up and stuck his Monte Carlo key in it and unlocked it! I have tried every GM key I have, but that's not a lot.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Not sure how you arrived at those total costs....you only need a new ignition lock cylinder, no need to change all of them. the round key opens the doors and trunk, the square one starts the car....last time I checked...lol

areibel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2012
Cambridge Springs PA
bill said:
Not sure how you arrived at those total costs....you only need a new ignition lock cylinder, no need to change all of them. the round key opens the doors and trunk, the square one starts the car....last time I checked...lol

Well, maybe I'm missing something, but if I don't have the keys (either of them) then I need to replace the trunk lock and both door locks too? The ignition is only part of my problem! So $15 for the ignition, $17 for the trunk and $21 for the pair of door locks- that's $53 plus sales tax, that's a hair over $56 by my math. I'm not sure how outrageous the dealer will be to replace the keys, but would it be more than $60?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor