Now my exhaust doesn't fit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

8GPLE7

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2007
Az.
Hey what's up people? :D

Thought I'd share a little info. I just replaced my motor (see my sig) and now my exhaust doesn't line up :evil: I was running stock GM heads with Hooker headers, I think 2451 is the part number, into an x-pipe. Now with the new motor and Edelbrock aluminum heads the collectors don't line up with the rest of the exhaust. They sit about 3/4" inward.

I never took into account the exhaust when I purchased and planned everything :oops: I assumed the exhaust would just fit like before. So now I just bought some new reducers and gaskets.

I put the motor in last week and it's all ready to fire but I still need to fix the exhaust first :cry:

Am I the only one who ran into this problem, is there anyone else out there who's been there? So this is just a little tip if your switching from stock GM heads to after market heads, esp Edelbrock chevy heads. Plan to have your exhaust system redone.

This pertains to dual exhaust, I don't if stock exhaust will bolt up or not :?

Cj

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
engine

i just replaced my 355 with 383 and put new 2451 ceramic coated headers on that orginally had 2451 ceramic headers . the new headers sit out about 1/2 in wider than old headers . hooker said they did redisign them 5-6 yrs ago . i bent old headers and bought new ones this time. the old ones fit it perfect , these hit frame and upper control arm . i used dremel to cut out areas effected .took and heated up exhaust to bend slightly to fix problem that made exhust leak. this is what happens when tinkering with cars .also it will throw off rear of exhaust if you just try to make work as is.

8GPLE7

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2007
Az.
Hey hobbes442, what' s up?

I thought about heating up the exhaust but figured it would throw it too far out of whack. After spitting out more ideas I just decided to cut off the front of the "x", just behind the weld, and I bought new reducers and gaskets. I'm just gonna have the front part replaced, I figure thats the most cleanest way to do it.

I also bought a new tube/pipe cutter also so I can make clean cuts. I'll have to have a muffler shop bend some new pipe to the same angle as the old pipe, that way I can cut off the excess at both ends and weld it up myself, since I am currently in welding school right now it shouldn't be a problem.

But I hope to have it running in the next couple of days.

Cj

hobbes442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2007
mount vernon,in
exhaust

i used same heads and different block . it may be just slight differences in how motor mounts aligned . i just know it pissed me off when headers rubbed and old ones did not. all in the learning process when u dick with cars . just like when u pull out a 307 and put in a 383 and change to 700r4 and then put in 12 bolt rearend . sometimes things just needed tweaked since they are not standard either. i am pulling out my driveshaft and getting the yokes back in phase and rebalanced to see if that is causing a slight vibration above 70 or is it that pinion angle is 3-3.5 is the problem . process of elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor