OBDII Code readers

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
So I'm looking at getting a newer code reader to replace my ancient OTC unit I can no longer get cartridges for. Looking at the Zurich brand from Harbor Freight.
Any opinions ? suggestions, other brands ? Let me know what you guys think out there.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So I'm looking at getting a newer code reader to replace my ancient OTC unit I can no longer get cartridges for. Looking at the Zurich brand from Harbor Freight.
Any opinions ? suggestions, other brands ? Let me know what you guys think out there.
I bought a Zurich ZR11S. Compatability with out 2 Mercedes was important.

The thing with the Zurich scanners is to make sure of two things on the Company website, not anything harbor freight has set up in store: 1) it covers all the models you want or expect in the future; 2) that it does all the functions for that model.

In our case, with the Mercs, there were lower level cheaper models that said they worked with the cars... yeah, OK, but reading further they would read all systems and types of codes. IIRC some of them would only do tmps and related codes, but not engine/emissions related ones? It's was something weird like that. It would only read certain ones, or not clear some, something totally asinine.

But anyways, got ours on a good sale. You just missed their 30% off anything coupon. Wait for a decent sale price or a good discount coupon before pulling the trigger IMO.

Other than that issue of finding the right one that not only listed out makes/models but had full capability within the model? No complaints.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I also have the ZR11S which I like. It evens graphs some of the live data. Mine was a discounted opened box.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I gave my OTC 3111 PRO to my grandson as it still works great. I am very happy with the AUTEL scanners. I have the Maxi-Check PRO for my cars and it is very good. I also have the AUTEL TS408 for TPMS work. I think AUTEL gives you the most bang for the buck.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I bought a chinese Tech 2 clone. Very nice unit and it has way more features than almost any scanner that is cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you need to work on Fords, I heard good things about FORScan. It can perform advanced features like programing keys.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
I've got a Chinese copy of an Innova. It is a Foxwell BT809. 8 inch touch screen, runs on Android. It can give live data in chart and graph form, has an oscilloscope, performs most service functions, obviously reset all of the lights. You can use it as a tablet and go on the internet with it but I rarely do.

I would recommend buying one that can read ABS, airbag and body fault codes.

I also use Forscan as I work on Fords frequently. It is not necessarily a scan tool, but it can perform a lot of the same functions. It does require some caution as you can change factory programming and mess things up if you don't know what you are doing with it. However I used it on my F150 to disable the auto stop/start, and to enable the key to open and close the windows by holding the lock or unlock buttons.

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I bought a chinese Tech 2 clone. Very nice unit and it has way more features than almost any scanner that is cheaper.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to obd2 readers. Can someone explain what additional functionality the tech2 clone has over the Zurich ZR11S mentioned earlier?

Also, I already own an OBDlink bluetooth scanner......but have only used it for code reading....would this have many of the same capabilities as the others mentioned above?

And finally, I'm considering purchasing HPTuners for tuning an ls swap that I'm in the middle of. I've got to assume the diagnostic capabilities of hptuners is as good as anything else on the market?

Last edited:

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have three. My go to is the Zurich though. Usually all you need and works for nearly all models. ABS and SRS too.

20230311_103017.jpg

My Snap On Solus is wayyyy out of date, but still has some great functionality depending on the vehicle and year. I don't do any of this enough to bother updating it or replacing it with another one.

20230311_103120.jpg

And the last is an older Tech 2. Also outdated but has features that are well worth keeping it around.

20230311_103126.jpg

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
The BAFX Bluetooth reader pictured worked great for me with the Torque app. You can view a lot of live data and read and clear codes. I got it on Amazon.

I have an issue with it not connecting to my 2011 Chrysler Town & Country so I bought the Zurich brand Bluetooth dongle from Harbor Freight for that vehicle. It does work fine. Not as much live data as the BAFX with Torque app.

I did see a Walmart brand dongle recently that looks exactly like the Zurich one and was cheaper.

Attachments

• 2B908C7A-3F43-4E40-9242-8D6CFC94E662.jpeg
    2B908C7A-3F43-4E40-9242-8D6CFC94E662.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 59

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor