Odd gauge interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Here's the story.. when my old factory gauges were in place, and I used my blinker, the volt gauge would tick back and forth about 2 volts and when I used the power windows, the same thing...

Now I installed new aftermarket gauges, the same thing happens.. even when I step on the brakes, the temp goes up 10* instantly.. then goes back down when I let off....

Also, this always happened, but when I use the power windows again, I get some static on the radio.

So where do you all think the interference is coming from?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do you have all the grounds in place? Many people leave the ground strap from the firewall to the engine off when cleaning up the underhood area.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Ribbedroof said:
Do you have all the grounds in place? Many people leave the ground strap from the firewall to the engine off when cleaning up the underhood area.

Yeah, that's where I grounded my gauges. Maybe another ground is bad somewhere....

Somehow, something is interring with the factory harness though..

I'm going to check the other grounds..

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
check the voltage at the battery when activating different loads. the alternator may be borderline and some electronic devices are highly sensitive

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
megaladon6 said:
check the voltage at the battery when activating different loads. the alternator may be borderline and some electronic devices are highly sensitive

With the ign on, I have 12.5 at the battery.... that's with the stereo on. I get 11.8 at my electric choke and other IGN terminals.... is this correct?

I am thinking I might have a bad ground.... going back, my wipers were not working and I made a new ground for the motor and they worked... so somewhere along the line I could have a bad ground somewhere...

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Make sure the battery is grounded to the body, not just the engine. What kinda voltage are you getting at the battery when the car is running? Your voltage regulator could be on its last legs.....IMO

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
bill said:
Make sure the battery is grounded to the body, not just the engine. What kinda voltage are you getting at the battery when the car is running? Your voltage regulator could be on its last legs.....IMO

Yes the batt is grounded at the fender too... its 14.07 when running, at both the ground post and and ground fender... so that is healthy...

It's got to be a bad harness ground somewhere I think...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
is that 14v with the loads off or on? if everything is off that's low. also, check it at the gauges and nearby circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor