Oddball Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Oddball Monte Carlo sighting, real or custom?

I was out on a business trip and happened to see off in the distance an '81-'87 style Monte, Blue w/ White Vinyl 1/2 top, but the odd thing was the quarter windows were split in half (2 per side instead of one), and there was a long-ish script behind them. It *looked* like it could have been a factory special edition but I couldn't get close enough to read the script or take a good close look.

Any ideas what this was? Or was it just somebody's custom vinyl work? I didn't recognize it so I thought I'd throw it out to you guys.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Was it an SC or an LS? Either way never heard or seen anything like that. I would assume it is a custom or redone vinyl top with a custom touch to bring a section down the middle and split the windows...

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
It's quite amusing to me. Almost everytime someone sees something a little out of the ordinary on a car with 15, 20 or more years on it they immediately assume it is an undocumented "rare factory option". Why don't they conclude that during the long years of the cars existence some owner decided on a little customization, which is far more likely? When I hear hoof beats I think of horses, but evidently a lot of people think giraffes.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Jeez lets let it die already! :roll:

:D (/me looks for the 'kill thread' button)

There *were* all kinds of goofy factory and/or dealer-created packages though. I got an example pic here I'll post up when I get home. About the ugliest thing you ever did see. :lol:

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Sometimes Dealers (or a group of Dealers) would create some goofy kind of customization and call it a "Special" or a "Limited Edition". With the exception of Yenko, Baldwin, Motion and a few others these cars actually have their value compromised by such "customization". However I have seen many sellers of these Dealer customized cars argue that they are factory optioned (not), very rare (I guess so) and very valuable (sure).

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
AGREED! 8)

Here's the pic I was talking about:

album-image-324.jpg

The whole reason I originally posted this (foolishly! :oops:) was because I remembered this ugly abomination and wondered if there was a MC equivalent.

ICK! It is kind of fun though to find out all of the stuff that was tried. This Americana thing, the GP GT's, the mythical Grand Am GTO from another thread, I saw a "Cutlass GT" on ebay a while back... :shock:

[/img]

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Also Grand Prix SSJ out of New York area.
Should be in my photos.

84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2007
spring hill,fl
dont mean to butt -in
i had a 1978 gp sj(dealer's edition)
the car was a 305 car
-buckets
-a/c
-floor shifter
-smaller back window
-i guess it had a better rear
-1/2 vynil top
-extra exterior trim
-rear spoiler
disc brakes

you guys heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor