of Mike Musto and your unfinished project car

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
As some of you probably know, there is a newer show on Motor Trend on Demand which is hosted by Mike Musto, called the House of Muscle. In each episode, he selects some random dude's older domestic car and profiles both the car and the owner. He tries to take an authoritative look at the car as well as why it is significant to the owner, and he presents things in a mostly down-to-earth fashion.

I had never seen or even heard of Mike before finding this new show. As I've watched the four episodes produced to date, I can see how it would be easy to dismiss Mike as some arrogant, know-it-all prick. But maybe that's a harsh judgement. Recently I have seen a couple people whose opinions I would generally trust (such as David Freiburger) that have said Mike is a genuine, nice guy. Hmm.

Just the other night, I found out where Mike "came" from to get his new show on MTOD. Turns out he used to host a web series on /Drive called Big Muscle. In each episode, he profiled a random muscle car (surprise!) and occasionally included the owner, though in this series he seemed more focused on each car and why it is special rather than the person who owns it. Okay, fine. If I want to get to know Mike better, why not watch a few episodes? Thus I began checking out YouTube and watching a number of his shows, picked totally at random.

About six or seven shows into my binge watching session, I found this one:

This is where it all clicked for me. Not only about Mike--because by now I had changed my initial impression of him--but particularly because of what he said in the closing of this episode. He began preaching his call to arms, so to speak, encouraging viewers everywhere to hop in their unfinished project car and drive the thing. "Don't save it for the next guy, and don't put it off.... Do whatever you want with that car, but do it now."

And that's why I had to drive the Grand Prix to work this afternoon. Thanks, Mike.
embeer.gif

Reactions: 7 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I like getting little inspirational moments like this. I've watched Mike in the /Drive series and i watch a lot of car review videos, like the Smoking Tire and Doug DeMuro. He seems pretty genuine i was pretty stoked when he reviewed Mary Pozzi's 2nd Gen Camaro, he did some interesting cars for Big Muscle. But i like watching Car videos because it makes me feel like I'm not insane for obsessing about cars haha and he is right, just Drive the damn thing! I drove my MC through every evolution its been through and no matter which way it looked, i always had a smile on my face. Ill have to check this video series out when i get home!

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Hell yeah, I totally agree. Drive it if it's driveable. If I waited till my car was "done" to drive it, I'd probably never get to drive it. Lol.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
For me Musto is one of those people who functions at 9/10s with respect to cars. Meaning he gets most of it, but lacks the final piece that gives him unshakeable credibility. It takes decades of deep rooted obsession and experience to gain that element (think David Freiburger). I look at it this way: if you were sit down with him for beers to talk the technical side of cars, and he starts drinking way too heavily (which for a man his size may take while) it probably wouldn't be long after he is drunk before he slips up and the BS flag is lifted.

For that reason I cannot identify with him - not that his enthusiasm isn't entertaining.

But, then again I take this hobby way too seriously and that rubs normal folks the wrong way too; and I am always sober.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Unlike the narrative on most forums that I visit...I like almost everything cars. Every car show, every youtube show, etc... or at least the ones that deal with American designed cars.

I've seen every episode of Big Muscle and I'm a fan of Mike's work. Then again, I tend to appreciate the guys who other guys see as "*ssh*les". I don't want your autograph, I don't want to have a beer with you....I just want to appreciate what contribute to the car world.

I 100% AGREE. Drive your car(s)...if you can. Every freaking day that the sun is even halfway shining and it's over 50 degrees, I want to be in my Monte Carlo. Just driving. No set place to go...just cruising. It's therapeutic to me. Even "working" on it makes me feel good.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor