Oil pressure concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverRiff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2010
I have a 1987 Monte Carlo ls I got about a month or so ago, and am still in the process of tuning it up as it seems like everything is completely original to the car ( except new plugs, wires, basic maintenance stuff). The one thing that is greatly concerning me is that my oil pressure gauge is consitantly showing lower oil pressure, around 13-15, right on the line to the orange "warning" block. After the car has been sitting overnight, when I first start it up, the gauge shows right in the middle at 30. It seems like once it heats up is when it drops. When I start driving it will usually go up to about 20 or so, but it still loves to jump around no matter what I'm doing. Also I notice that it seems to be slightly effected when I turn on something electrical, like the headlights, domelights, radio, etc. When I turn on something, it will dip slightly. Any thoughts? Should I be overly concerned?

well judging by it being affected by other electrical components i would seriously look into a bad sending unit, ground, power, etc. your oil pressure may be just fine but is definetly important that you look into it

I'd hook up a mechanical gauge just to see what the oil pump is truely putting out. If it's fine then there's the electrical side already mentioned to diagnose.

Sounds good, I'll start spraying on the nut buster. Hopefully it won't snap off like the one on my Cutlass' 455 did. I will report back what I find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor