oil pressure sensor alternatives?

L05edSS

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2022
is there such a thing? i had an unfortunate situation other day. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/oil-pressure-sensor-new-parts.89783/
started doing a lil thinkin' and my last monte carlo ss had a transmission line pressure gauge and if remember correctly it tapped into a brass elbow and a stainless braided line to the gauge. i never thought i'd pop that sensor and almost empty my pan in a short time, i can't press my luck like that again.

You almost need a flow monitor like in a riser pipe.

Other OPs to check would be transmission. Most are 1/8 NPT, also the brake light switch in the 70s Jeeps.

I looked at AC Delco and all discontinued now. Sourcing through aviation makes sense. Lose all your oil pressure and you crash. So maybe tighter specs and better construction on those units.

Reactions: L05edSS
You almost need a flow monitor like in a riser pipe.

Other OPs to check would be transmission. Most are 1/8 NPT, also the brake light switch in the 70s Jeeps.

I looked at AC Delco and all discontinued now. Sourcing through aviation makes sense. Lose all your oil pressure and you crash. So maybe tighter specs and better construction on those units.
did some searching around and this was what i had in mind,

Good install of mechanical guage, I guess he never heard of crows feet. ...or line wrenches...

Behind the gauge you coil it so it looks like a big spring. Keeps the copper line from metal fatigue. You should actually trim it, but if concerned you might do it wrong, you can leave as is, like he did.

Get an engineer involved... And just wait..., it will get complicated. 🙂

Something like I was thinking about. Allows you to electrically close the port with a switch you can mount on dash.

At least this one was affordable, the other one was about $3800.00.

Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-37-58-898.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-38-47-360.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-38-47-360.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So I think this is a potential solution.

The needle valve reduces flow, but allows enough to feed the Guage.

At 3 gpm max, 1 gallon will flow at 20 seconds. So you can reduce down the flow and increase the time, but would still drain the block. Yet, as soon as you notice the issue, you can electrically shut down the line. So the next and best would be to make it automatic.

Pressure only builds after resistance. An open line has low pressure, but high flow rate. Monitoring the flow rate is possible, but extremely expensive. So next is monitor pressure.

You need an OP switch to energize the valve. If the line suddenly opens like in a burst line, or broken sender, you get a major pressure drop. This drop effects the switch, the switch closes the valve, and no flow will progress. This method would allow some oil through, but automatically it will shut down in seconds. Maybe a pint or less loss, but no longer would allow the whole volume of the crankcase to be liberated.

It would be a design build, but would be about $250.00 and just as good or better than flow control that would be in the thousands of dollars.

Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-52-21-380.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-51-01-340.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-26-00-51-01-340.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor