Old tires low mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
My Cutlass has pretty much been a garage queen for then last 13 years.
I put new Radial T/A s on it in 1999,but have only put about 9000 miles on the car since then.
Car has been garaged with carpet under the wheels,and inflated properly any time the car was driven.

The tires look very good,no visible cracks or splits.They feel like they could be slightly out of round,or possibly slightly out of balance.
I've heard bad things can happen to old tires
Should I be worrying about the aging tires?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
My Cutlass has pretty much been a garage queen for then last 13 years.
I put new Radial T/A s on it in 1999,but have only put about 9000 miles on the car since then.
Car has been garaged with carpet under the wheels,and inflated properly any time the car was driven.

The tires look very good,no visible cracks or splits.They feel like they could be slightly out of round,or possibly slightly out of balance.
I've heard bad things can happen to old tires
Should I be worrying about the aging tires?

Possibly. You might want to take a drive to somewhere that can measure road force and where the high and low spots on the tire are.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Tires can flatten from sitting. The flat spots will make some weird feeling and noise. It probably wouldn't hurt to have them balanced. The date code on my tires say that they were made in '98 :mrgreen:

GBODYLS3

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2011
your tires have probably flat spotted from sitting. they should smooth out if you get them warmed up good. take a 20 mile drive at highway speed and see if it helps.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I have old tires on all our old cars, never had a problem. They have tread and aren't all rotted, run em.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I run old tires often. I've had one bad experience. Ironically it was with a BFG Radial TA. The tire was about 8 years old and had maybe 500 miles on it. On a trip down the highway the tread separated and did some damage to the front fender. Unfortunately it was on my 1969 Ford Mustang. Since then I always do a quick inspection of my old tires. Small cracks are one thing to take notice of. In the case of the BFG, the belts began forming some rust and caused the tread to separate. Good luck!

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
RITTER said:
Tires can flatten from sitting. The flat spots will make some weird feeling and noise. It probably wouldn't hurt to have them balanced. The date code on my tires say that they were made in '98 :mrgreen:

I've still got the lifetime balancing guarantee in writing from where I purchased the tires and have been planning to take them in and see if they really will honor "lifetime" :shock:

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
GBODYLS3 said:
your tires have probably flat spotted from sitting. they should smooth out if you get them warmed up good. take a 20 mile drive at highway speed and see if it helps.

They do seem to get better when driven a few miles.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I know that weather is hard on tires and since this car has always been parked indoors,weather should not be much of a factor.
Since I'm not planning on any long trips with this car,I'll keep running these tires until they show signs of trouble.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i heard on a tv show about vintage cars that you shouldnt use tires that are older than 6 years old because there is a greater chance for a sudden blow out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor