olds 307 knocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if that's what they think then how did they explain they found nothing when the tore it down?

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
He didnt have an explination. Said it checked out fine not sure what we were hearing. Maybe a lifter wasnt priming. He was pretty worried about the lack of oil coming out of the head when i had the valve cover off. But they researched it and i guess thats common and normal for this engine to not be squirting oil everywhere.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If they think it's a lower end knock then they ought to be offering to tear the engine down again cause they obviously missed something but then again if that had to research what oil should be present in the head then they shouldn't be building theses engines

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Have you pulled the fly wheel off and looked very close for cracks near the bolt holes. I have seen some flywheels crack there on other vehicles?

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Got it in and running. Same knock. Flex plate is ok. I listened to it again. It seems only to be slightly off idle if you hold it there its the loudest.

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Assuming the engine rebuilder knows what they are doing...Have you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on to see actual oil pressure? it must be something that is bolted to the engine eg. fuel pump (broken spring, have seen that on gm 305 and 350 years ago) distributor gear /shaft going up and down, bad engine mounts,
Noises will travel through the block and sound like it is somewhere where it's not..
Keep us posted

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
We have not read actual oil pressure. They did not run it. They herd it run in the car. My gauge has always been correct, im awear it could be wrong, but i think there would be more noise with poor oil pressure. They think its a lifter not priming. Im going to remove the intake and valve covers and pull lifters apart and see if somethings screwed up. The noise is in the back passanger side of the engine. This may turn into an over winter project due to funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor