Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2007
Charlotte,NC
Any one have any ideas bout swappin a Olds 350 into 85 Cutlass? Pros Cons? :?:

Fear

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2007
Indianapolis
I have a 71 Olds 350 rocket in my 87 Cutlass and love it. Pro's. You can say you have a rocket under the hood. Being different and not having a chevy in a olds. Block are realy strong 76 and under and way less than chevy. Cons is performance parts are more expensive. Parts are harder to find, but i have found everything I could need between ebay and online performance shops. Here is a pic of mine after I just got it in.
engine5.jpg

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
If you have a 307 now its a drop in. All the brackets AC etc bolt right on. etc etc etc

GrandPrixJamie

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2007
Schenectady New York
pros: motor swap is gravy. Pretty much a bullet proof motor. I personally think that they run better stock than a stock chevy 350. Plus... Now you can say that you have a "rocket 350" :D

cons: performance parts are fewer and a little bit mor pricey (not too bad though) :(

Chet Who?

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2007
Charlotte,NC
Sweet! even the motor mounts line up? I pulled the 307 out after 200,000 miles of service. She did me good but now its time for some power. Also what are the options for exaust manifolds? Will full size headers fit in the sweet beast or is it shorties?

455OLDSMAN

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
There are several aftermarket companies who make headers for the 350 Olds in a G body. If you want to use manifolds for some reason then you can use your 307 manifolds and bolt your original exhaust back up. Oldsmobiles really wake up with headers though.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Chet Who? said:
Sweet! even the motor mounts line up? I pulled the 307 out after 200,000 miles of service. She did me good but now its time for some power. Also what are the options for exaust manifolds? Will full size headers fit in the sweet beast or is it shorties?

All Olds small block motors (260, 307, 330, 350, and 403) are externally identical. Use the 307 motor mounts and the 350 will fall right into place. One thing to watch out for is the water pump length. Olds used three different pump lengths and the pump, brackets, and pulleys all need to be used as a set. Just transfer the 307 pump, brackets, and pulleys to the 350 and you'll have no problems. Also, be sure to reinstall all the spacers under the PS pump bracket. If these spacers are not installed properly, you'll never get the pulleys to line up.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
drop in swap .....cheap power also . you'll love it
Dan

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
caddy engines, olds engines, buick engines, pontiac engines, etc

all drop right in

all except chevy ones

i had a caddy 425 most recently
now i wish i had saved it for this '85 cutty 3.8L

i would be sticking it in the car

dammit

it ran so strong, mean bottom end torque

hmm

i had a 403 once too for a while 77 electra, ran like new, strong as hell too

miss it alot :(

i still kick myself for sellong that car, it was clean, all original loaded, still had a working 8 track, and all, mint shape, only was about three years ago too, barely over 100k on it

hum.,.

good luck

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
easterwabbit said:
caddy engines, olds engines, buick engines, pontiac engines, etc

all drop right in

That's not correct. The only "drop in" part is the bellhousing bolt pattern, which is the same. EVERYTHING else - motor mounts, frame mounts, accessory brackets - is different. The only "drop in" motor is another Olds motor. The others all fit with the proper mounts, but that's not "drop in" in my dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor