Olds 455 With some rust in cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I glad many people have long term success with the 455. I knew of quite a few, not just on these forums, way too many on them, with failure in the bottom end. I saw enough 454's with the same issue. All I saw were stock motors revved one too many times. One guy, whose Dad and Uncle owned a shop and got 455's from Wrecker's for $150. Jason poured the Nitrous to them till they blew and got another one when it died. Still seeing it, most for sale are over priced and knock, knock, who's there? My bottom end. If he can revive it and keep the rpms reasonable, he should go through many tires and smiles.

Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Take it to the machine shop have them run a dial board gauge in the cylinder and check how much the bore is out on the major thrust side get their opinion before you go honing it
If it’s good you can have them hone it and use the Pistons you have with a set of drop ins if the bores are out
You can always have them Hone it to 40 over and put new pistons in it and start off with a fresh bottom end
You’re going to have to have the crank worked so you might as well do it all have them check the Rods while you’re at it
Rock auto is your friend they have 40 over pistons and drop in rings at a reasonable price
Note make sure you have proper main bearing clearance in these boat anchors otherwise it ain’t gonna work

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Take it to the machine shop have them run a dial board gauge in the cylinder and check how much the bore is out on the major thrust side get their opinion before you go honing it
If it’s good you can have them hone it and use the Pistons you have with a set of drop ins if the bores are out
You can always have them Hone it to 40 over and put new pistons in it and start off with a fresh bottom end
You’re going to have to have the crank worked so you might as well do it all have them check the Rods while you’re at it
Rock auto is your friend they have 40 over pistons and drop in rings at a reasonable price
Note make sure you have proper main bearing clearance in these boat anchors otherwise it ain’t gonna work

If you take it to a machine shop you may as well get ready to rebuild it. They are salesmen.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Wesleey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
If you take it to a machine shop you may as well get ready to rebuild it. They are salesmen.
I got a pretty good shop with some good guys that are willing to help the poor enthusiast out a bit lol .I’m not even going to bother with the stock rods or the 30 over pistons I plan on doing some h beam rods with flat tops got it dropped it off on Friday should know soon what he thinks.

Reactions: 1 users

Wesleey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
I got a pretty good shop with some good guys that are willing to help the poor enthusiast out a bit lol .I’m not even going to bother with the stock rods or the 30 over pistons I plan on doing some h beam rods with flat tops got it dropped it off on Friday should know soon what he thinks.
Probably going to be going .40 over

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I assume you mean small dish pistons, flat top pistons will push compression too high. I can't find anything on that cam, assume it is basically a copy of the smog 455 cam. Too small, basically a Vin 9 307 HO cam, too small.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What heads are on this motor?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
When you were first asking whether to run a rusted cylinder or not, I would have never assumed that H-beam rods and 12:1 pistons were in the budget or I would have answered differently. You had better plan on race gas with flat tops and a torque camshaft.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor