Olds ralley wheels differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I read about SSII and others but I dont know the real differences. I also read that the ralley wheels with chrome trim pieces are the same as the chrome wheels, except they're chrome instead of painted with chrome trim. Is this true? I have a set of steel 15" ralleys and am tempted to get them chrome powder coated if they are the same.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Larryg said:
I read about SSII and others but I dont know the real differences. I also read that the ralley wheels with chrome trim pieces are the same as the chrome wheels, except they're chrome instead of painted with chrome trim. Is this true? I have a set of steel 15" ralleys and am tempted to get them chrome powder coated if they are the same.

"Rally wheels" is a Chevy term. Olds called their styled steel wheels "Super Stock" The SSI wheels were the Magnum-500 style wheels used in 1966-1971. The SSII/SSIII wheels used from 1968-1988 were similar. The difference between SSII and SSIII is paint - SSII was argent, SSIII was lower body color. The Super Stock wheels from 1968-1974 used the bolt-in centers. 1975-up used the snap-in centers. Within family (bolt-in or snap-in) the disk part of the wheel is the same for all sizes. 14x6, 14x7, and 15x7 all use the same wheel disk. This is why 15" Super Stock wheels don't really provide any additional room for disk brakes. The rim part of the wheel has a deeper drop on the 15" wheels to allow use of the center from the 14" wheels.

The bolt-in centers are all the same. The snap-in centers came in a variety of styles. The chrome bezels around the openings also differ in minor details over the years, including the cross section and the corner styles.

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
dudeface said:

That site has some good info .... unfortunately it doesn't cover the 78-88 intermediates and their options .... including the chrome SSIIIs the OP mentioned. When I get home I will try and post up some more pictures and descriptions. The Chrome SSIII came in essentially 2 versions (discounting black versus gold inserts). My 86 Salon had 14 x 6 (not 100% sure on the width) and the 442s (and some B-bodies) came with 15 x 7. The rims were I do believe were indentical stampings to the painted SSIII but were fully chromed, then the spoke recesses were painted. They did not use trim rings nor the 5 chrome bezels like earlier rims. The all Chrome rims, used snap in style center caps not the bolt-ons like the SSII. There were also optional alloy wheels on certain years. I'll go over those too.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Larryg said:

Another thing, it would be far more economical to purchase wheels that are already chrome plated. Factory painted wheels are far from ready for plating, they have numerous imperfections that paint covers up or hides. When you strip the paint off you'll see them, so first those would have to be blended, then you have to spend countless hours polishing these wheels to a mirror finish, then send them off to be plated which is very expensive to have done "right" and have something that will actually last. These wheels are reproduced, and used sets (unless they are perfect) go pretty resonable, I picked up a complete set of 15x7 chrome with centers for $70 on the side of the road. But they're your wheels and your cash. Maybe paint the ones you have, sell em, and put the cash towards chrome ones.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Thanks guys, I cant wait to get these all straight. Mine are the 15" painted version with snap in centers. I was also hoping to have them powder coated a chrome finish. I'm sure it wont be as shiney as chrome but it should fix many imperfections. All my trim is perfect so maybe I should paint them body color and keep them stock looking. I just really like the 442 look with the chrome and gold. I'd love more pics too as I've seen them with white walls, black walls and RWL too. I cant decide which way I like beter.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
IDK, perhaps I ahven't seen enough of the metalic power coat finishes, but I don't recall them having a very convincing sheen to pass for chrome .... if I was spending the money to powder coat. I am thinking body color, Black or Argent. my chrome SSIIIs were pretty rough especially the wheel lips .... I had actually kicked around putting trim rings on lol .... not to mention paint doesn't stick well to chrome .... my inserts looked HORRIBLE.

btw Wheel Vintiques makes a chrome "SSII" not sure how these are SSII and not SSIII but OK. sizes 14"x6" to 15"x10"for $106.01 - $226.10 each brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor