olds to chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
brethenry_08 said:
well i do appreciate every ones opinion on this subjuect and am now convinced to get a 350 old or a 403 nut out of curiosity what was the 403 olds most common in?

Pontiac Trans Ams, actually. The 77-79 Trans Am used the Olds 403 in front of the automatics and the Pontiac 400 in front of the manual trans. If the hood scoop says "T/A 6.6", it's a Pontiac motor. If it says "6.6 LITER", it's an Olds 403.

The 403 was built from 77-79. Besides the T/As, they were used in full size Buick, Olds, and Pontiac cars and in the 77 Cutlass as an option.

joe_padavano said:
The 77-79 Trans Am used the Olds 403 in front of the automatics and the Pontiac 400 in front of the manual trans.If the hood scoop says "T/A 6.6", it's a Pontiac motor. If it says "6.6 LITER", it's an Olds 403.

That's a very interesting tidbit that I never knew.
Learn something every day.
Thanks.

[EDIT: I just re-read the above and misunderstood, yeah I think you're right on the decal designation 'T/A' vs. 'Litre' though.]

The Firebirds said 6.6 whether they were Olds 403 or Pontiac 400. Depending on which year '77-'79 it was for different purposes. In at least one of those the 403 was used in Cal. and high altitude cars for emissions purposes (TA's included!)... I'm not an expert so you'd have to do more searching.

It was kind of dumb seeing as how they used to call the 400 6.5L back in the day... but I guess it was a happy medium between the two.

found me a 403 for 300$ needs rebuilt but im going to build it for more power anyways so thats a good thing any ideas on what to put on/in it

Either 350 and stock pistons or the 4A heads and KB pistons. Look at one of the Voodoo cams and use a Cloyes or Pro gear timing set. I used the .028 Corteco head gaskets, actually an overhaul set.

GP403 said:
[EDIT: I just re-read the above and misunderstood, yeah I think you're right on the decal designation 'T/A' vs. 'Litre' though.]

The Firebirds said 6.6 whether they were Olds 403 or Pontiac 400. Depending on which year '77-'79 it was for different purposes. In at least one of those the 403 was used in Cal. and high altitude cars for emissions purposes (TA's included!)... I'm not an expert so you'd have to do more searching.

It was kind of dumb seeing as how they used to call the 400 6.5L back in the day... but I guess it was a happy medium between the two.

I'm not an F-body expert by any stretch. I just did a little more searching and it appears that the use of "6.6 LITRE" designation was Olds-only for 1979. In 77 and 78 apparently there was a base Pontiac 400 that also got the "6.6 LITRE" designation. In all three years, the high-output Pontiac 400 got the "T/A 6.6" designation.

It all depends on your budget. If you have the extra cash, consider a set of Edelbrock heads for it then buy pistons to suit. Aluminum heads will probably allow a 10.5:1 static compression ratio. As for a cam I don't know what is best in an Olds 403. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and your performance goals. Is the car a daily driver? Race car? Will it have A/C? Power brakes? etc.

403's were in Trans Ams, but they are not likely going to be a car that is going to be given away or sold for next to nothing or something that the owner is going to pull the engine out of. And of course any engine in a less-than-nice old Trans Am is most likely going to be whipped in the ground as is the nature of why people have old Trans Ams. Better bets for cheap not-so-abused 403's will be late 70's Oldsmobile Delta 88's and 98's, Buick LeSabres and Electras, and Buick and Olds full size wagons. Just looking on E-Bay Olds 350's and 403's are available in various states (Used, rebuilt, blocks, etc) for very little $. Only thing is with those is they rarely include accessory brackets, and even though you are swapping Olds to Olds, sometimes not everything is drilled in the engine you need to use for your accessories.

The best thing about getting one from a beater barge along with having all the accessory brackets is that it's still in the car and most often can be heard running. (I was able to drive the '79 Delta home to remove the engine.) And although you have to deal with getting rid of the old hulk, you are not getting a magical mystery engine like one from a u-pull yard where you have to spend time and effort removing it on a gamble if it's actually worth anything or just an anchor.

I waited a few years before the opportunity came in to being, but most likely it will happen at some point in time within a few miles of where you live- just the engine you want for your car for next to nothing.

-UT-

found a 403 for 250 on car-part.com called they said it is a builder and it is a olds engine how is one way to tell (it is still in 79 firebird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor