olds to chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i have a new question? What all is it that i am going to
have to do to put the 403 in my cutlass and run it correctly?
Like what transmission(or will the one in it work), what will i have to do to the wiring,(if anything) will the carb from the 307 work, these are the type
questions im going to need help with.

The biggest problem you have is the computer system on the car. It controls the carb and distributor. You will need to find both of them that are not computer controlled. The wiring harness for the computer system is completely separate from the rest of the wiring of the car. The harness runs down the passenger side wheel well under the heater box into the kick panel where the computer is. That can be completely removed. If you are going to be keeping the a/c you will need to figure out a different way to wire that up because it is also controlled by the computer. I think you just need some type of relay and a way to turn it off under full throttle.

I think I covered the hardest part of the swap which really is not that hard. To finish everything up it is really easy. The motor will bolt right in using the stock mounts. All of the accessories will swap over from the 307 to the 403. All the sensors will be in the same place as the 307, so just swap over the sensors from the 307 to 403. The trans you have will bolt right up. If it is the regular 200 metric trans it will not last to long with the extra power, so you will want to consider getting a 200r4 or a th 350. I am pretty sure the 200r4 will bolt up no matter what it came out of because the case is a dual bolt pattern for chevy and b.o.p. engines. The th350 will have to come from a buick, olds, or pontiac engine for it to bolt up. If you choose to go with the 200r4 you will have to find a way to operate the lock up converter.

I think I covered most of what you need to do. Good luck!

chevy, olds 403's are a really good boat anchor though, money to power ratio you cannot beat a SBC. although i could use a 403 for my grandpas cutlass so he can get to church this Sunday morning.

The wiring issue for the A/C only applies to the vin 9 cars. Standard 307's do not have the computer cut for the A/C under full throttle like the H/O or 442. I am the holder of the sacred texts ( the factory service manual set) for the 1985 Cutlass, and they say it is so. Do not argue with the sacred wiring manual of swapping goodness.

v8power, when you look at only the engine nothing is cheaper power to dollar even streetable power to a point than the sbc. 403s are not a good platform for a race motor but they are a good platform for a strong street motor. Their is pics on oldspower of a pump gas 403 powered gbody yankin a serious wheelie pulling a low 60 foot running a low 11. So they do not have to be boat ancors any more than some of the slug SBCs GM sent out the doors over the years even if you can't flip the pages open on jegs and find 50 trillion parts for them.

v8power said:
chevy, olds 403's are a really good boat anchor though, money to power ratio you cannot beat a SBC. although i could use a 403 for my grandpas cutlass so he can get to church this Sunday morning.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :blah:

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The wiring issue for the A/C only applies to the vin 9 cars. Standard 307's do not have the computer cut for the A/C under full throttle like the H/O or 442. I am the holder of the sacred texts ( the factory service manual set) for the 1985 Cutlass, and they say it is so. Do not argue with the sacred wiring manual of swapping goodness.

Unfortunately, your info only applies to 1985-earlier. My 1986 CSM shows the computer control of the A/C compressor clutch relay on VIN Y cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor