oldschool supercharger/ blower questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
[ It seems that you are determined to go through with this project even though you have seen that several experienced people have advised against it. If you haven't given up on this idea yet than I have to ask, why ask for advice, and then ignore the many opinions that this is a bad idea?[/quote]

True Dat!

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
I was 24 once. A long time ago. If I listened to everyone who told me I couldn't/shouldn't do something, I'd have missed out on a lot of lifes experiences. Some bad and some I wouldn't trade for anything now. I would also be less experienced overall. Its a 307. If it shoots craps, he isn't out much. As long as he learns from the mistake, albeit an expensive one, he'll be better off in the long haul of life. Try something. If it works, WOOOO HOOOO!. If not, figure out why and correct the problem, try again.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
454cutlass said:
The first thing is how much compression is your engine. Second is the condition it is in. You could just put it on and start saveing for a new built block cause the stock block won't last long.

A 144/142 go for around $800-1200 used. Need a boost reference Carb $500 gaskets vacuum. Lines boost gauge. Most likely a new Hood. For clearance.
Don't forget the upgrades to the fuel and cooling systems, and fabing the brackets, and a custom built intake manifold, etc.... I don't think you can do this project for less than $4,000! Why not do something sensible like dual exhaust, better rear end gears, and a 75 shot of nitrous. That might come to $1500 and you would have a car that would be a blast to rip it up on the streets. Lots of noise and tire smoke.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Don't worry shanghaismith. This project will never get off the ground let alone get completed. I have never once seen anyone on a car forum who claims to want to take on a project like this actually go through with it. Just do a search here on Ratkinson83....

This isn't a knock on you personally Wild Card. My thoughts are just based on factual observations, common sense, and intuition.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
DoubleV said:
This isn't a knock on you personally Wild Card. My thoughts are just based on factual observations, common sense, and intuition.
X2 on that Wild Card. I have about $16,000 into my Cutlass and at least $3000 of that was wasted because I didn't heed the advice of more experienced builders. My fresh built 403 lasted less than 30 miles because of my lack of experience and cost me an extra $600 to make it right.

ed209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2012
wisconsin
Money can make anything work there a guy on counting cars how has 4 blower on two motor on one car now that is crazy flipin nuts .so doing it

spudd

Apprentice
Sep 10, 2012
My adiice is don't do it unless you know a lot about blowers
I put a blower on my 71 chevell 454 and I didn't know jack about tuning or setting it up
It cost me a lot of money and time and in the end I pulled it off and was a lot happier with it for drivability

My thoughts ::: leave the blowers for the race track!!!!!
Just my experience

pointer81

n00b
May 6, 2013
if you are not willing to do the research and find out every little thing about a blower you are better off not going with one. if you go with a stock motor get a crank addapter that makes it so that you dont have to double key the crank. and upgrade the balancer bolt to an arp bolt other wise the blower will rip the balancer offand destroy everything under the hood and cost alot of money to fix. dont cheap out on bolts they will save you money later on.

i put a 6-71 on my 350 and it didnt hold up very long. so now i have an ls6 with the 6-71on it and it is the best way to go, it cost me less money to build the ls6 than it would have cost me to build a 400. if you want to put a blower on for cheap it will never happen i have $25000 into the powertrain alone just to hold up to the extra power.i just wanted to keep it around 500hp but ended up with 900hp so much for a street car

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Boosting is usually an expensive road to go down no matter what way you go about it. If your looking for something more or less bolt on and go, look into a different engine.

Here's something to think about...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

I have a friend that has an older GM 3.8L turbo, carbureted, ready to run, he wants 500$ for it. I don't know if this engine would bolt right into your car, but it would be a hell of alot easier than supercharging that 307, and will probably give you better results..

my 2 cents, good luck! PM if you are interested in buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor