Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Reactions: 1 users

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Well the straps are installed. Hardly no vibration. Also, it was like the first time I felt the torque of my motor. After seeing the old motor mounts literally come apart in my hands, I still say I may break a strap some day.
For now though, I'm completely happy with the straps I made. It was a simple and cheap insurance against mount breakage. And best of all, anyone can make them.

Attachments

• DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    929.2 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0199.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    962.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: 1 user

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Bingo! That's what I use. Wouldn't change it if I had the chance either.
I agree with you and fleming442. I had a Monza with solids and a stock transmission mount. If my Cutlass was an automatic, I'd run that set up.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, the T-5 is better than I thought. I have been trying to find an affordable overdrive manual that will actually live behind any power. Problem is, either too expensive or too weak.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Well, the T-5 is better than I thought. I have been trying to find an affordable overdrive manual that will actually live behind any power. Problem is, either too expensive or too weak.
ZF5

What would you consider too expensive?
2010ish SS Camaro manual trans is pretty stout and can be had for 1500-2k

It's a TR6060 variant.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
There is a difference with the T-5s i've been using. I used the 4th gen Fbody T-5s. The ones I've used were 3.8 V6 units rated at 300hp and had different cases. It's basically a Ford case with Gm gears. My early 70s Olds bell housing actually had bolt holes that matched the Ford pattern. Go figure. The main weakness is the T-5's case. (So I'm told.) I blew up 2, but both were input shaft failures that could have been caused by lack of fluid or pilot bearing failure. (Both were present in my case)
As of Trans shops, The only people deflecting T-5 cases are hard core racers and even then it's the rear counter shaft bearing flexing in the case. Some have a counter gear brace that solves that issue. G Force Transmissions makes a beefier case for about 300 bucks that also solves flexing issues. Check it out at Jegs. It also seems to have dual GM /Ford mount patterns. Internally, the Ford and GM gears have different ratios but are physically the same. Meaning the bearings, shift collars, etc. are identical.
My last install included me checking clearances, looking at gears, replacing the pilot bearing, and checking end play with the trans installed. From 2016 to this past Feb when i put a new clutch in, all is good.
I discovered the motor mount issue after the clutch install. Being that the old clutch wasn't that bad, I think the loose mounts made me question the drivetrain in the first place.
T

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, 2K is getting up there, by the time I add a bell housing, pedals, clutch set up etc, 4 grand. Is the ZF5 the early 90's German 6 spd trans from the ZR1 Corvette? They are supposed to be quite robust and they are reasonable priced used.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is a difference with the T-5s i've been using. I used the 4th gen Fbody T-5s. The ones I've used were 3.8 V6 units rated at 300hp and had different cases. It's basically a Ford case with Gm gears. My early 70s Olds bell housing actually had bolt holes that matched the Ford pattern. Go figure. The main weakness is the T-5's case. (So I'm told.) I blew up 2, but both were input shaft failures that could have been caused by lack of fluid or pilot bearing failure. (Both were present in my case)
As of Trans shops, The only people deflecting T-5 cases are hard core racers and even then it's the rear counter shaft bearing flexing in the case. Some have a counter gear brace that solves that issue. G Force Transmissions makes a beefier case for about 300 bucks that also solves flexing issues. Check it out at Jegs. It also seems to have dual GM /Ford mount patterns. Internally, the Ford and GM gears have different ratios but are physically the same. Meaning the bearings, shift collars, etc. are identical.
My last install included me checking clearances, looking at gears, replacing the pilot bearing, and checking end play with the trans installed. From 2016 to this past Feb when i put a new clutch in, all is good.
T
Cool, I knew the later Camaro and Firebird had the T-5, I did not realize it was an upgraded version. What are the gear ratio's? Yeah, Oldsmobile used the Ford Toploader 3 spd as it's heavy duty 3 spd option through 1970, I believe. I may have to see if there are any of those years out there at the wreckers. What did you do for the speedometer?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
T
Cool, I knew the later Camaro and Firebird had the T-5, I did not realize it was an upgraded version. What are the gear ratio's? Yeah, Oldsmobile used the Ford Toploader 3 spd as it's heavy duty 3 spd option through 1970, I believe. I may have to see if there are any of those years out there at the wreckers. What did you do for the speedometer?

The ratios are kinda steep compared to the 3rd gen V8 Fbody's 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 100 and 0.73. Mine are 3.75, 2.19, 1.41, 1.00, and 0.72. Now the speedometer is still a work in progress. I initially used a after market electronic speedo strapped to my column. Works fine but looks weird. i'm in the process of getting a 90s cluster and using the speedo motor in it to swap to my stock manual speedo. Until I make that swap, I use the column mounted one to pass inspections. The hard part is finding a 90s GM speedometer that matches the sweep of my speedo. It has crossed my mind to just do a custom cluster with all after market gauges. There is no real creativity in that. Lol
There are more details in my album in here. T-5 installation.
T

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor