On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

Data is always cool. Shows how much refinement there is between a 9.99 car and a 8.99 car even with generally the 'same' setup

Interesting the big treadstone IC is the restriction.

Got any more drag and drives planned for the next year or still settling in from DW?

Post Drag Week 24 review of data.

View attachment 246649

I'm out of intercooler. I knew I hit a timing retard due to IAT temp on the last day, but reviewing logs from day 3 and day 4 found I hit as well on the 2nd runs from each of those days as well. I had the timing retard set too high (too aggressive), and that was the cause for the slow trap speed. It does affect the ET as well, but not as dramatically as the trap speed. When I first seen this, I was somewhat disappointed because this is usually an indicator of being out of turbo compressor. But after looking at multiple logs I noticed the Pre-IC pressure vs Boost was in the area of 6-8 psi. Basically it's a measure of IC flow restriction/capabilities. This intercooler is advertised as having 2-3 psi of pressure loss across the cooler, but it's always been 1-2 psi higher than that which isn't good. The larger the differential, the higher the pre IC temp and IAT. The IC is pulling 250-260 degrees out of the intake air.

This can also be a function of head and cam flow as well, but that usually is found to be the issue when no increase in trap speed or faster ET despite adding more boost and using more fuel. I contacted BTR and asked about cam specs and how many rpm's I'm running on this setup. They advised that the cam is too small and adding to this issue. But they agreed that I'm out of IC as well. My IC, Treadstone 1340R, is rated for 1300+HP and it's obvious that number is a bit lofty. The issue doesn't develop until I hit 29.5-31 psi which s about 1100 whp (1200-1250 crank HP). The last couple of days I was running 1200whp and the lack of Intercooler capacity was illuminated.

There are a couple of things I can do to slow down the IAT temp - better intercooler or put the meth injection back onto the car. One of those options will cost me money and the other won't. I have a complete meth system that was on the car until this past winter that I removed to drop weight. I decided to pull it off based on dyno testing that showed my Pre IC and MAT readings were 30 degrees cooler with this turbo, so I decided to pull it off. The next thing to do is put in more cam. BTR indicated to swap out my Stage 2 turbo cam and put in a Stage 4 turbo cam. The difference between the two is about 14-16 degrees of intake and exhaust duration. And they only recommended a stage 4 rather than a stage 3 based on the compression (11:1). But drivability might go in the toilet with that large of a cam at 2000-2400rpms - hmmm, what to do?

Also I still have an issue with the the converter being too tight. Last fall Circle D had advised to put more power to it to loosen it up some. Well, I added 150+ and it still is dropping 1200-1300 on the 1-2 and 1100 on the 2-3 shift. I've contacted them and they said they could build a custom stator for it and loosen it up some more. It's either try that or drop $2K+ for a bolt together converter - $2K+ is definitely not in the budget.

I'm sure that if I could've gotten another 3-4 runs in I could've been running low 8.8__ and possibly a high 8.7__. It's amazing to me that every time I manage to grab another 100-200hp I find numerous weak links haha. I guess that's how it goes. But I'm getting closer to being more competitive for an 8.50 chassis cert. I'll try to get some videos loaded onto YouTube identifying another issue that I have as well.
Is there a 'line drawn in the sand' for you regarding this?

Reactions: Rktpwrd
That is true. You can drop speed immensely and not have it affect ET by a whole lot at the finish line. I've killed 30 mph on the brakes and not knocked ET down by a few hundredths.

I didn't realize how much this is the case. I feel I would've been 5-7mph faster if it hadn't cut timing for the last .5-.6 seconds of the run. It slowed me down enough that I didn't think I went as fast as it did.

Data is always cool. Shows how much refinement there is between a 9.99 car and a 8.99 car even with generally the 'same' setup

Interesting the big treadstone IC is the restriction.

Got any more drag and drives planned for the next year or still settling in from DW?

I refrained from signing up for Sick Week only because of the expense end of it. Also, it's almost creates no off season to make upgrades. When I went to SW in '23 I showed up with too many untested changes and that sucks - trust me. It's definitely much more rewarding to show up with something that is tested. On test day, Sunday, I had the new to me tires and the new shocks. I ran multiple passes but only to the 330' with the knowledge I know I can get the car down the track past that point. I plan to do DW next year, but I'd like to do another. I'm just not sure of which one. I have to admit that finding ones that are less than an 8-9 hour drive from my home is nice for travelling to and from the event.

I'm somewhat surprised how the IC has worked out. I thought it would work better, or not have such a sharp point where it goes from good to bad. Perhaps some of it is in my setup too. The little SS grill doesn't help.

Is there a 'line drawn in the sand' for you regarding this?
Yes, the cage. And I've been fortunate IMO with the transmission. I feel that I have to be nearing the limit of the stock input shaft and sprag. The next level of upgrades for that component aren't cheap. Of all parts of racing/going fast, the transmission is the one part that I can't handle. I'm old enough that I don't have 3-4 years to learn how to become a transmission guy despite that I would like to.

finally.. someone that practices moderation..moderately of course😉
It's all relative. I wish I knew what I know now when I originally put this car together.

This thread is getting quite long, not at the 100 page record to convince me that I need a cam, but it's long enough. If someone took the time to read through it to see the stages of the car and all of the things that I did that I could've done better the 1st time around, then they would know that I've lived and learned. And I'm sure I still have a lot of learning to go.

I've spent alot of time and effort increasing slowly. Read through this thread and skip my 1st 5-10 levels of guessing at what works and what doesn't lol.

I didn't realize how much this is the case. I feel I would've been 5-7mph faster if it hadn't cut timing for the last .5-.6 seconds of the run. It slowed me down enough that I didn't think I went as fast as it did.

I refrained from signing up for Sick Week only because of the expense end of it. Also, it's almost creates no off season to make upgrades. When I went to SW in '23 I showed up with too many untested changes and that sucks - trust me. It's definitely much more rewarding to show up with something that is tested. On test day, Sunday, I had the new to me tires and the new shocks. I ran multiple passes but only to the 330' with the knowledge I know I can get the car down the track past that point. I plan to do DW next year, but I'd like to do another. I'm just not sure of which one. I have to admit that finding ones that are less than an 8-9 hour drive from my home is nice for travelling to and from the event.

I'm somewhat surprised how the IC has worked out. I thought it would work better, or not have such a sharp point where it goes from good to bad. Perhaps some of it is in my setup too. The little SS grill doesn't help.

Yes, the cage. And I've been fortunate IMO with the transmission. I feel that I have to be nearing the limit of the stock input shaft and sprag. The next level of upgrades for that component aren't cheap. Of all parts of racing/going fast, the transmission is the one part that I can't handle. I'm old enough that I don't have 3-4 years to learn how to become a transmission guy despite that I would like to.
Gotcha. I'd be right there w/ya. At some point, it beomes no longer safe on the street once you get too aggressive on the safety stuff for the track.

It's all relative. I wish I knew what I know now when I originally put this car together.

This thread is getting quite long, not at the 100 page record to convince me that I need a cam, but it's long enough. If someone took the time to read through it to see the stages of the car and all of the things that I did that I could've done better the 1st time around, then they would know that I've lived and learned. And I'm sure I still have a lot of learning to go.

I've spent alot of time and effort increasing slowly. Read through this thread and skip my 1st 5-10 levels of guessing at what works and what doesn't lol.
don't give it a second thought. I ran my car in various combinations for 22 years. They were all variations of the last combo I had using parts as I had them and making changes as I went. They didn't all go quicker either.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor