one of those days

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpexpress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2011
stuart, florida,
ever have one of those days? i did an oil change to the gp today. backed the car up afterwards to clean things up. later on went outside and found a trail of fluid comin out from the back wheels.both the wheel cyls blew out so tomorrow im goin to replace the rear brakes. complete redo shoes hardware wheel cyls and drums :)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
good luck! the wheel cyl SUCK!!! however there is a thread somewhere about clamps to hold them in, instead of the dumbass spring clip GM used

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I bought one of these tools from my Matco guy ,It takes the wheel cyl clip off and on with no fuss. It works . Sorry about the small pic .

Attachments

• imagesCAAYLF6E.jpg
    imagesCAAYLF6E.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 410

gpexpress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2011
stuart, florida,
thanks for the pic of the tool. gonna pick one so next time im not fighting it. took 2 and a half hours just to get the first wheel cyl on then another 25 min to do the second side from tear down to putting the drum back on.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
yup......
I planned to replace the seat back in the car about 2 weeks ago ( the PO cut it out completely to install a stereo ). I cut out the speaker box and the replacement of the seatback and parcel shelf actually went pretty smooth but I somehow pulled down a section of the headliner taking out the plastic pieces around the side windows. Knowing I would need to fix it before I put everything back together I ended up breaking the headliner board in 3 places taking it out to recover it. Spent the better part of an afternoon with the fibreglass and resin to sort that out. I replaced the fabric on the headliner twice ( long story ) then yesterday when I went to re-install the headliner ( raining again ) I notice that I have a small leak around both the rear side windows. If that wasn't bad enough when I took out the first window there was a little bit of rust which needed to be ground out, primered and painted before I reinstalled the windows this eve.

Counted up the hours and I am around 20 hours now ( between work, phone calls and the fact that I am doing all this in the driveway with no garage doesn't help LOL ), hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can get the interior back in the car.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
lol sorry for the rant but your post caught me at just the "right" time. Did you get your wheel cyls done ?? I have a tendency to break off the brake line when I replace them as they are usually seized ( IIRC one side is 36" and the other is 24" and they are only like $5 each pre-flared while at the parts store )

gpexpress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2011
stuart, florida,
hey np man thats what this post is for. yes i got them done and yes the drivers side gave me issues with the brake line. had to undo line from by the center section and pull it out with the wheel cyl, removed line and installed on new cyl and reinstalled. worked out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor