Ontario Malibu Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aztec

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm finally in possession of a car I've been eyeballing for five years. In 2010, a sweet elderly friend of mine I would visit at the seniors home told me of a red 1980 Malibu Wagon she and her girl friends would go party in. A Malibu enthusiast since high school, I asked what happened to the car and she sold it to a friend in 2004. He only drove it a few months, then had it stored at a property outside of town that coincidentally belonged to my neighbor. The new owner passed away in 2010, and my neighbor acquired the car. Oddly, it appeared next door only weeks after I had heard about it at the home. I asked him to sell it, but he had other plans, which changed and he had it in storage til 2013 when someone broke in and stole the keys to a number of vehicles including the Malibu. He brought it back here (next door), and said yes when I offered to buy again. We were expecting a child so bad timing, and he held onto it for me til now. It's now in my driveway, waiting for a new set of coils. I'm thrilled about this car. It's in great condition, and It's a real labor of love. More to follow . . .
pk_malibu_2.jpg
pk_malibu_8.jpg

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree, cool story! Wagon looks like a great starting point for ya. Welcome, btw, from Calgary, AB.
Donovan

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Perry,
Welcome aboard!
I'm glad you finally made it over here and was able to share the story of your Malibu wagon.. :)
Thank you for posting the pics as well.

Nice to have you here.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Nice find!
Pete
Southern Ontario

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
Great acquisition, Perry! And in terrific condition for an Ontario car of that vintage.

Anyone remember the GM of Canada "Iraq" cars that were being built under an EDC loan, when something spasmed in the Gulf, and, I think, the U.S. government refused to let GM export them. They were offered for cheap through Canadian COC dealers, were 231 V6s with 3-speed manual floor shifts, and air conditioning.

I doubt that there are many of them left, now, but finding one would be an interesting curiosity.

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
Great acquisition, Perry! And in terrific condition for an Ontario car of that vintage.

Anyone remember the GM of Canada "Iraq" cars that were being built under an EDC loan, when something spasmed in the Gulf, and, I think, the U.S. government refused to let GM export them. They were offered for cheap through Canadian COC dealers, were 231 V6s with 3-speed manual floor shifts, and air conditioning.

I doubt that there are many of them left, now, but finding one would be an interesting curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor