Orientation of adjuster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Working on my project gm 7.5 rear end. Its been a couple of years since this was tore down and my parts got mixed up. I didnt take pictures and my main car is still in the storage unit so i cant pull a wheel off to verify. After putting this side together i feel ive done some thing wrong. Can anyone see in the pics if the adjuster arm is is correct and are the shoes in the proper orientation .
Thanks
20230301_053005.jpg
20230301_052956.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
At first glance, it appears the shoes, springs, adjuster arm, and starwheel are backwards. For the shoes, it's short liners in front, long liners in back.

This might help. Driver side diagram below:

1677675893497.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, you probably already know this, but make sure the star wheel adjusts OUT when the brake shoes expand and adjusting lever moves down.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Good point, the star wheel adjusters are specific to their sides because one is right hand thread and the other is left hand. If memory serves the left hand unit goes on the passenger's side and would turn CCW (counterclock-wise) and the right hand thread is for the driver (clock-wise). (Ref the above picture which looks to be of the passenger side brake assembly) Check them before install as to which you have going where as the shoes won't adjust out at all if they are mis-matched to the side on which they are being installed.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Brakes are in smaller pad to the front adjuster star to the rear. On both sides. The cw and ccw post above helped with the adjusters.

Next question is since my car has no parking brake cables should i leave the parking brake arm hanging in here to fill the space in the wider cross bar opening or take it out
20230301_170556.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor