Park / Neutral saftey switch with B&M shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
For me to pass inspection at my local drag strip all cars need to have a working neutral saftey. So I dug through what I could find on the forum and learned about the mechanical function that keeps the car from starting in gear. My car was originally a colum shift. I found that most people splice into the purple ignition wire and run a wire to the aftermarket shifter for thier safety switch. I spliced into the purple wire ran the wire to the switch on my floor shifter and it still starts in every gear. What did I do wrong that this didn't work? I spliced into the purple wire right under the dash by the stwering column. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you for the help!!

Attachments

• DSC_3386.JPG
    DSC_3386.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 269

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Did you splice into the right purple wire? If I recall, it's a heavier gauge purple wire. I've noticed that there's another lighter gauge purple as well.
I believe the wire came out of the column. I assume you ran the micro switch inline between where you cut the wire and the shifter...just checking.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
100% positive I spliced the correct purple wire. I believe there was 2 purple ones that ran to plugs, and when I unplugged them the car still started. The one I spliced, after I cut it, I tried starting the car and nothing. I'm not much of an electrician so when you say inline I'm not positive what you mean exactly. What I did was cut the purple wire and strip both ends. I took one end of the purple wire and one end of the red wire(wire I'm running to switch) and twisted them together. Then I took a crimp conector and connected the 2 ends together again. Obviously I didnt do something right because it's not doing what I though it was going to.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So after reading the instructions for my B&M shifter I think i know what I did wrong. The instructions says to run a wire from both sides of the purple ignition wire to the shifter. This makes more sense to me except my switch on the shifter only has 2 prongs. 1 for neutral safety and 1 for reverse lights. If I was going to wire it as described in the instructions wouldn't I need 2 prongs on the neutral safety side?

Edit: So I'm dumb. Took the nuetral saftey switch off the shifter to look at it and theres another prong on the bottom of it. I will be able to fix this now and it should work.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was going to say, when you cut the purple wire, you connect one end of the purple to the end of the wire you're using to go to the switch...then splice another length of wire coming from the other end of the purple wire to the other pole on the switch so you're able to complete the circuit. I hope you were able to rectify the problem. It sounds like you realize what you did wrong.

It's pretty much the same procedure to do the backup light light connection.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor